12

Your chest tightened when you heard the slash. You opened your eyes, and you couldn't breathe. Standing before you was what was left of Mark's zombie body, laying on the ground in pieces.

"What the hell, y/n?" JB growled, sheathing his weapon. "Do you have a death wish or something? That zombie was about to eat your face off."

Your heart pounded in your chest. That had been the point, but now you were second guessing yourself. What had come over you? You had never let things get to you so deeply before. "I..." You couldn't answer. What were you supposed to tell Jaebum? That you were trying to relieve yourself of the guilt you had been carrying for almost a whole year now by letting your used-to-be-boyfriend take his zombie revenge on you. "I..." Nothing. You could say nothing at all.

"What has gotten into you?" JB looked at you with his cold eyes, but you couldn't look back at him.

You were ashamed of everything you had become. You were supposed to be strong and independent, but in your moment of weakness, you almost gave into the shadows lurking in your past. It was a coward's way. Tears poured down your eyes as feelings of remorse, shame, humility, and loss overwhelmed you.

JB cocked his head to the side. "Are you okay?"

You shook your head. You thought you had been okay. When you first approached Mark, you had only planned to talk to him, to express everything you had let stew inside of you. You hadn't planned to let him try to kill you. It just sort of happened in a moment of weakness, but now that moment was gone, leaving you feeling empty.

"I used to date him, until he turned into a zombie of course." For a moment you weren't sure if you had said that out loud or not, but when JB's eyes widened, you knew he heard everything you had said. "I don't know what came over me." You finally looked up at JB, and you could just feel his sympathy, but the last thing you wanted was for him to feel sorry for you.

"I'm so sor-"

"Don't say that," you interrupted. You were pretty sure those words would completely shatter you. "I'm fine. I'll be fine."

JB's shoulders fell. "You have to stop pretending that, because even if you can manage to look okay on the outside, you won't be able to feel okay until you've released what you're feeling on the inside."

You looked down at Mark now, and your heart ached. At least he was out of his misery now, and no one would blame JB for saving your life. They would blame you, though. You couldn't stay here. You knew that now. Here you would be trapped in your guilt and in the stares of those you felt sorry for you. Here you would end up trapped in your own mind, because you wouldn't be able to release what you really felt inside, knowing that everyone expected you to stay strong. "You're right."

"Look, why don't I go get Jackson, and then we can-"

"No," you interrupted again. "I need to go. I can't stay here any longer." You started walking away, but JB grabbed your arm, stopping you.

"You're upset, and it's the middle of the night. Leaving now is the last thing you should do." JB stared deep into your eyes, trying to make you listen to him, but it was too late.

"Do what you need to do, and I'll do what I need to, but don't try to tell me what I should or should not be doing." You yanked yourself away from JB's grip. He didn't know you, and he definitely didn't know what would be best for you. You stormed off, not looking back at JB.

Jackson jolted awake, screaming as he felt a hand on his arm. He swung the dagger he kept by his side while he was sleeping, but the hand stopped him.

"Calm down, dude. It's just me!" When Jackson's eyes focused, he realized that it was JB who had touched him.

Jackson's heart was pounding. "What the hell? Man, you scared me! Why would you wake me up like this? I almost stabbed you." Jackson took a deep breath to calm himself down.