Chapter Six

“Never again will I ride in a car with you.” Hailey said as she entered the apartment. Everyone trudged along behind her, each tired from the long ride. She dropped her duffel bag on the floor by the couch and walked in the mini-kitchen.

A fridge was in the corner, a small counter between it and the stove. On the other side of the stove, a counter with cabinets both on top and under went all the way to the wall. A small island was a few feet away, with three bar stools lined on the end side. A median-sized table was up against the wall, which was leading towards a hall with a big window in the middle and little cubby looking bars in it.

“Who are you talking to?” Ashton asked, falling down in one of the bar stools. Stacy walked in with James behind her. As he plopped down in a chair at the table, Stacy walked to the fridge.

“Oh, I don’t know, Ashton, maybe the guy that’s waving from the window.” Hailey remarked sarcastically. All three of the remaining people, who hadn’t spoken, looked out the window, to which Hailey was pointing at.

Sure enough, there was a guy washing the window from the outside. He smiled politely at all of them and moved to the next window of the apartment complex. After all, being on the third floor wasn’t easy for any owners to wash them themselves.

Stacy laughed and grabbed several ingredients from the fridge and cabinets. She planned to make dinner for her and James. She usually only did for them. James watched excitedly, knowing he was going to get dinner, and he loved Stacy’s cooking.

“Was that meant to be sarcastic or not? I think it is because, I’m guessing never known though, he never rode in a car with you.” Ashton said, his face scrunched slightly and confusion laced with every word he said. James looked at his best friend and shook his head. Hailey gave him a pointed star.

A few minutes later, and a whole glass of water drunken, Hailey watched Stacy prepare some kind of meal. She walked closer curiously and stood beside her. Peering over her shoulder, Hailey observed every thing she made with chicken. Many spices later and some lemon, Stacy put her finished output in the microwave. She put it for three and half minutes and turned around. Everybody was staring at her.

“What are you making?” Hailey asked with a small smile. Hailey hoped some of it was for her. She was starving and was too lazy to make anything for herself. Ashton licked his lips as he saw what Stacy put in the microwave. He also knew Stacy was a great cook. James knew what it was; Stacy made it for them all the time.

“Dinner for me and James. And no. I know what you’re going to ask, is some it for you? No. And neither for you, Ashton.” Stacy said pointing a finger towards Ashton was caught off guard. His mouth opened, as if offended, but then smiled sheepishly at Stacy.

“Why is it only for James?” Hailey asked pouting.

“Because he is going to be my husband soon. Plus, I always make enough only for him and me. What’s the difference now?” Stacy asked. She walked over to the table and James opened his arms for her. She sat in his lap. Hailey crossed her arms across her chest. She had completely forgotten about the food. She was never going to admit it to anyone, but she felt envious Stacy had somebody to hold her like that. She wanted somebody who she can say she loves, somebody who will say it back and somebody to hold her the way James was holding Stacy. Instead she was stuck with Ashton.

“Are you going to cook for me?” Ashton asked looking at Hailey. Hailey turned her head to him and stared. “I mean I’m not going to be your husband soon, I already am.” He smiled at his own joke. “But, still. You know that’s what wives do, right?” He questioned.

Hailey scoffed and turned to look in the cabinets. Ashton thought she actually listened to him; whilst, Hailey only looked for something for herself. She sighed in defeat and pulled out a box of cereal, Lucky Charms.