Chapter 2: Riley The Helper

"Maya, where are you from?" Riley asked me. We were sitting at a table accross from each other, both eating the same breakfast: bagels with cream cheese and orange juice. 

"I'm from here. Greenwich Village, New York City." I replied, taking a small sip of my orange juice.

"Are you from Abigail Adams High?" She asked me. "If you are, I haven't seen you around." I nodded.

"I am, but I guess I'm kind of invisible. I used to have friends from there, but they got expelled. Now I have no friends." She raised an eyebrow.

"How did they get expelled?"

"Have you ever heard about the two girls Jessica Harley and Renèe Jepson?" I asked. Jessica and Renèe were the most horrible girls in the school. I used to be like them, but then I had a change of heart and didn't want to be like them anymore. They got expelled for doing too many bad things all in one day: Spraypainting the principal's office, writing "fucking slut" on the school's cheerleaders's lockers, stealing some of the teacher's wallets, and doing graffiti in all of the girls's bathrooms. I guess they got what they deserved.

"Oh. That explains everything. Why aren't you friends with them still?"

"I had a change of heart. I didn't want to be like them anymore."

"What made you have a change of heart?"

"Nothing. I just got tired of their stupid choices." She smiled.

"I'm glad. Where are you living here in Grenage Village?" This made my heart sink of embarrassment.

"I, uh, live nowhere. My mom lost her job as a flight attendant for the New York Airline and now she's looking to be one at a different airline."

"You're homeless?" She asked. I nodded.

"My hydro got turned off yesterday. I thought I might as well leave before people kick me out." She got up from her chair and gave me a hug. It felt... Nice. She let go after a couple of minutes.

"Maya, I am so sorry. If you want, my family has two spare bedrooms. My uncle is using the one, but we have another. You can stay until you get back on your feet." She said. Hearing that nearly made my heart burst. Tears start flowing down my cheeks.

"Are you serious?" I asked. She nodded.

"Just let me ask my mom." She said. She walked over to a woman who looked like she was nearly in her late thirties. Riley looked nothing like her mother. All I seen was her mom nodded and she hugged her mom. She skipped over to me. "She said yes!"

"Seems like you and your mom have a good relationship."

"We have our moments. What about you and your mom?"

"I haven't seen my mom in nearly ten months. We talk over the phone but it's only for like five minutes." She made a sad face.

"I'm sorry, peaches." Peaches... That felt nice too.

"Don't worry about it, Riles."