Baby Kat

The cinnamon colorpoint looks around, making sure her hood is secure as she hurries through the capital. Her heart is already aching, but she doesn't know what else to do. They have no idea how to take care of a deaf child; so much of their world is sound. If only she could have been hearing,she mourns. If only she hadn't been born the year after the war ended. If only…

But she is, and she was. She hates the decision they've made, but they simply can't take care of her. They wouldn't even know where to begin.

The little kitten she's carrying mumbles in her sleep, stretching and shifting. The cinnamon colorpoint has to force herself to keep going.

Finally, she reaches the castle. Exhaling, she pulls the cloak she's wearing away a bit so she can look at her tiny, white-furred daughter. “Maybe they'll know what to do for you, Katherine,” she murmurs. “I only wish I did, too.”

She kisses her head, then sets her by the door, swaddled in blankets with a simple note pinned to them.

Her name is Katherine Joy.

With that, she disappears, running back to her home with a hole in her heart that will never fully heal.

***

Asgore wakes first, as usual. Toriel is exhausted from taking care of Asriel and needs her rest, so the king starts about the house, making breakfast, lighting the candles and fireplace, and making sure the magical crystals are still unbroken.

Toriel joins him after a while, when he's already finished making breakfast. He smiles and kisses her cheek. “Good morning, beautiful,” he rumbles.

“Good morning, handsome,” she answers, smiling in return.

He gestures to breakfast and she helps herself, then they sit to eat together.

“Thank you for letting me sleep, Gorey,” Toriel says.

“It's not a problem. I know you need it, what with taking care of Asriel.”

“I do,” she confesses, chuckling a little.

They chat a little as they eat before they both finally hear a tiny cry.

“Do you want me to?” Asgore offers.

“If you would,” she answers gratefully.

He nods and stands, kissing her head this time as he heads into the nursery. To his surprise, though, Asriel is fast asleep. Frowning, he returns to the kitchen.

“He's asleep,” he says.

“Hmm.” Toriel frowns.

There it is again - a tiny, thin wail. It must be a baby, but it's not Asriel.

So… Who is it?

The monarchs look at each other in concern, then Asgore tries to follow the sound. He follows it to the front door, concern mounting as the wail becomes more clear, enough so he can tell that it's not, in fact, crying, but instead tiny, wailing meows.

He hesitates at the door for a moment, then opens it.

No one is out there that he can see, but it could be a trap. He summons a trident just in case. He doesn't know if a human has fallen, but if they have, they will answer to him.