Chapter 5

"You know I kind of like the phrase freakshow. I think that's a pretty kick ass title for us" Jd caught the ball she was throwing against Sam's wall, Physical therapy gave it to her to work her shoulder and she was having way too much fun. Sam shrugged "yeah, freak is kinda becoming a term of endearment now huh?" Tyler grinned finishing tying something around his leg "Yeah, I like it" Arthur looked over "What's that?" Tyler straightened his leg out. A bandana sporting the colors black, grey, white, and purple was wrapped tight below his knee. "My ace bandanna came in today! I'm thinking about buying a second one with the Aro colors for my other leg" Jd smiled "Do they make and Pansexual ones?" Sam raised an eyebrow Tyler smirked "They've got them for every flag. I'll get us all some. Speaking of which" Tyler looked at Ari "So uh? What about you?" Sam snickered "Tyler that was the worst way you could have gone about that holy shit" He flushed mumbling a "sorry" under his breath and going back to fidgeting with the bandana. Ari shrugged "Nah don't worry about it, I was actually wondering when someone would ask so here let me formally introduce myself." They stood up and took a sarcastic bow "Hello! My name is Ari and I'm non binary as fuck" Sam grinned as Jd spit her soda from laughing. Sam raised an eyebrow "They, them?" Ari nodded and lifted a soda to their mouth "Oh and if you were wondering, girls are super pretty" Jd whooped offering a high five and Sam grinned "Same dude"

"Sam! We're going to get snacks! I'll bring you back an Icee!" Sam heard the door slam shut as they looked over at Ari, the green was starting to fade from their hair as they gave their crooked grin. Sam was shocked how it made her chest flutter and cheeks burn. "You ok Sam? You look like you swallowed a bug, dude" Sam blinked "Yeah! Sorry it's just getting hot up here" Ari shrugged "Yeah I noticed" They grabbed their hoodie by the collar and threw it up over their head. Sam was shocked how toned their arms were. "Dude you didn't tell me you were a bodybuilder?" Ari laughed "Not quite, I used to be a gymnast. I'll take that as a compliment though" Sam grinned well yeah I mean look at this" Sam flexed, poking the limp noodle that was her bicep. Ari shrugged "well at least you don't constantly adjust shirts" Sam scoffed "Oh look at me I'm Ari and I'm too jacked to be comfortable! Oh no!" Ari laughed as Sam turned back to the library books sprawled out on the table. "Find anything?" Sam shook her head, the old pages of the ancient books and the smell of old paper almost making her smile. "Wait look at this" Ari scootched over next to them looking down at the picture. It was graphic to say the least, a girl who couldn't be older than 15 sprawled out in a pool of her own blood, concrete glistening, eyes seeing nothing. Ari read the caption under the picture "Hannah Crooks 14, daughter of Oliver Crooks murdered outside of Watson's Deli. Stabbed 12 times in the chest, her killer or killers were never found" Ari looked up "That's heavy" Sam let out a deep breath "Yeah, but hey now we kind of have motive. Maybe?" Ari looked over "I mean it would make sense" Sam kept flipping "Dude look, that. That's the woods behind our street!" Ari took the book "No freaking way" Sam read from over their shoulder "Oliver moved to an old hunting cabin back into those woods, never to be seen again." Sam met Ari's eyes "wait if we know where he lives we could investigate!" Ari was hesitant "Sam that sounds like a horrible idea" Sam was too focused. "Tomorrow. We're going" The trap door flung open causing both Sam and Ari to jump five feet into the air. Jd stuck her head in "Sup" Ari frowned as Sam moved forward "Get in here, We have a plan!"