Chapter Five

D E V I N

HER CLOTHES LAY by her feet like smooth satin. My eyes don't stray from her toes. If they do, if I look any higher, I'll lose control and ruin this night. The struggle inside me is almost tangible. The voices increase their speed, going one-thousand words per minute.

Whispers.

Shouts.

Whispers and shouts. All passing too fast for me to focus on one thought.

What the fuck am I supposed to do when my fiancé stands naked before me? What the fuck am I supposed to do when all I want is to be inside her but know I can't? I know I shouldn't go through with this. I shouldn't be doing this. This shouldn't be happening.

Fuck her. That's what you're supposed to do.

What if she hates you afterward?

She wanted to wait.

Your grandmother just died and you're thinking about sex?

You're disgusting.

Pervert.

Idiot.

Stupid.

At the thought, my cock softens and my eyes begin to water.

My grandmother just died.

The only person who gave me hope in society died. I'm all alone. My eyes sting with the tears I'm trying hard to hold back.

Why am I so weak? Why can't I be strong? Why can't I be a true man?

Weak.

Coward.

Pussy.

What I would give for my eyes to never shed a tear again. What I would give for the voices to stop. For the nightmares to simmer and for Genevieve and me to live on a secluded island with nothing but water around us.

I don't want to live like this for the rest of my life. I'm tired of it all. Now that I've found a purpose, I want more. I desire happiness. I desire a future I don't deserve. A far-fetched dream in a sea of nightmares.

The dilemma in my head gives me a migraine. I groan at the pounds of weights being dumped on my brain, on my heart, suppressing my oxygen.

A soft melody begins to play, quieting the noises around me, chasing them all away. The lyrics ask me to be still, to know I'm not alone in what I know is a lonesome world. But it isn't a song. It's Genny's sweet voice.

"Look at me," her velvet voice commands. Bewitched, I do as she says.

Everything around me disappears but for Genevieve—the purpose of my existence.

"Whenever you feel alone, I want you to remember this night. I want you to know that I'm with you. I care for you, but most of all, Devin Green, I love you with everything inside me."

Genevieve stands beautifully naked before me. Her breasts perfect globes. Her hair, an everlasting cascade of curls, lay atop her breasts, hiding them from me. Subconsciously, my left hand rises to swipe the blonde strand away, revealing a pink nipple.

Her moan of pleasure sends blood straight to my cock. Letting my hand fall to the side of her stomach, I draw her close to me. I allow my index finger to draw circles on her warm skin, slowly lowering to the top of her thighs. Her breath hitches as does mine when I touch the soft layer of hair covering her.