Chapter 16

I wake to the sound of buzzing. It's not a blasting sound but it is loud enough above the quiet that it wakes me. I open my eyes, blinking a few times and looking around at my surroundings. The TV is off but both of my brothers are laying next to me snoring their hands off - this makes me smile. I push Dylan's arm off my stomach and shift him down beside Erik, whose mouth is hanging wide open. I chuckle.

ring ring. Right, my phone is buzzing. I lift up pillows from the sofa and check down the sides of the sofa. Couching down onto my knees I stretch an arm out underneath the sofa and find the solid brick of a phone. I squint my eyes at the screen and press the answer button.

"Hey." a voice says.

Pause. I yawn and rub my eyes.

"Hello?" It repeats and I realise that I haven't said anything.

"Um, sorry, hey?" I say and then clear my throat. "Who's calling?"

A laugh sounds through my phone. "It's Peter."

"What time is it?" I ask, plopping down on the living room window seat.

"Just past 3am." He replies casually, as if it's the most normal thing calling someone at this time.

"3am?" I repeat. "Is this a dream orrrrr... um, wait what? I'm so confused." I sigh, damn am I tired.

"I know it's late, er, I mean early, but can you come meet me?" He sounds unsure of himself, which pushes a button inside me and I'm suddenly wide-awake.

It's 3am and he wants to talk? Is this like 'the talk' where we break up or something because he can't do that. I remember telling me that he couldn't do that to me again. GEEZ GWEN could you sound like more of a psycho? Crap. But what if this is it... what if we part and I never see him again? The possibility that this could be what he wants casts a spell on my heart and stomach and my blood turns cold. Achoo (I just sneezed). After several seconds have past I bite my lip and say

"Sure." I sniff.

"The bridge in 15 minutes?"

"Uh huh." Then I hang up.

I creep down the hallway and turn right to climb up the stairs. I reach my mum's room and peer inside, she's sound asleep. I close the door and turn towards my room, putting my trench coat on over my jeans and t-shirt. I slip on a pair of sneakers and I'm out in the early morning air.

It's cold and bitter even though summer arrived a few weeks ago. The wind crawls down my back as I cross the roads and avenues till I reach our spot. Peter's spot and mine. Our bridge. It's really just a section of the sea that has an amazing view of the sunset when it is in its works. I spot a silhouette perched on the canal-like top and my steps falter. I slip onto the concrete beside him and look out at the waves crashing against the arches of the bridge below.

"It's like a dark void." I state and mentally slap myself at the oh so positive comment. Peter nods.

We sit in silence for a couple of minutes and I swear that I could scream, because I, Gwen Stacy am not a patient person.

"Just say it." I close my eyes.

"Say what?" And he speaks! Tell the heavens!

"I don't know," I shrug and open my eyes. "Whatever you came here to say?"

"I," he starts then stops, drawing in a few breaths before starting again.

"I was a dick."

I don't know what to say so I say nothing. I just wait for him to continue.

"I should've been more supportive because God knows I'm so happy for you and I'm so proud of you," he looks away but doesn't stop talking. "I'm sorry for acting weird when you first told me about the interview and then the day you went to it. I should've been outside waiting for you. There are so many things that I should've done and could've done better. But I can't change it," he sighs. "I'm sorry, Gwen. I love you and I haven't shown it recently. You deserve better. Than me." His voice catches at the end.

I'm crying. I hate crying.

I turn to look at him and I find him staring at me, into my eyes now and there's a plea in the depths of his brown ones, which my heart is leaping towards its hands stretched out and ready to grab at it.

"Don't." I shake my head and grab at one of his hands.

"Don't what?" His brows are furrowed in the middle and my heart thunders.

"Leave me." I choke out.

"Leave you? Leave you? Gwen I'm not going anywhere. You're the one who's leaving me." He smiles sadly.

I pinch my lips together and nod a bit as tears cloud my vision.

"But I refuse to be left." He exclaims several seconds later.

"What do you mean?"

Peter grips the hand that is holding his and scoots closer to me. He draws me to his chest and snakes an arm around my waist.

"Wherever you go, I go." He whispers and swipes the tears from my cheeks.

"But Aunt May-" I start.

"Is excited. I've already spoken to her about it and she understands. She knows I love you and, um, you still love me...right?"

"Of course I do."

"Say it." he says softly.

"I love you."

His body unclenches and relaxes around me.

"You and me we're a team, yeah? You're impossibly smart and Oxford should feel so grateful to have you. I would follow you anywhere. I just...I guess I needed sometime because to be honest, I didn't have any plans for my future other than, Spider-Man. But you are the world to me and you're going to London so I'm going to London. Teams don't split up, it's like the law."

"You are my team, too."

I sigh into his chest and soak in the feel of his warm sweater and the feel of his heart beating wildly against his chest. He was nervous and something about that lights up my body even more. We get to our feet and stroll along the side of the bridge. I occasionally pull Peter farther from the edge of the bridge, as he seems to creep up upon it. He laughs at my anxiety of him falling off the edge and I hit him and he retorts with "I'm Spider-Man, baby." Which earned him a push because he knows I despise the pet names.

We walk hand in hand and it's past 3am and the swelling of my heart has surprisingly not caused it any damage.

---------------------------------

A/N: So what did you think?

Please comment! Any suggestions are welcome as well as constructive criticism.

I'm currently writing another fanfic but it's based on Luke Hemmings and if you wanna read it, you'll find it on my profile. THANKS FOR READING.

OH AND WAIT. Is there anything you would like to see happen? I am open for your suggestions

- Saskia x