Chapter 18

"A party?" I arch an eyebrow, standing across my bed from Peter.

"Yeah. You know those events where there are around 50 people and there's always some music and-"

"I know what a party is, smartass."

Peter raises both eyebrows and a smirk starts to form on his face. "Are you in then?"

It's a challenge. Peter wants to see if I'm willing to let go for a bit, which is funny considering I was the one who suggested we go to a party last time and look how well that turned out. Is this a challenge I want to take part in? I mean I don't have to get drunk or anything do I? I can just chill with Peter or Grace and Dave, right? It'll be fun. And the day that I back down from a challenge from Peter, will be the day that I am no longer myself.

"Oh yeah. I'm in." I cross my arms over my chest and return the smirk.

9pm rolls around fast and Peter has already picked me up from my house. We're taking the metro. How classy. The thing is that neither Peter nor I drive even though we've had almost 2/3 years to learn... the fact that we live in New York City doesn't force us into the driving life, unlike if we were to live in California.

We walk down the road and are instantly exposed to the blaring, ear-wrenching music of fucking dub step. I can't even deal right now, not with the stupid club music. But I suck it up and continue walking with Peter's hand linked with mine. The noise is a mixture of shouting and music and when we enter Faye's house, I notice the sound of wailing too.

I must be wearing my thoughts plainly on my face because Peter looks at me and laughs.

"You can back down any time, baby, you know I'd do anything for you." He smirks.

"You big ball of cheese, you practically stink of it, it's burning off you like a damn fragrance."

Peter grins and a few people pass us and they exchange greetings aka fist pumps and "Yo dude's". I spot Grace over by the drinks and make my way over to her after telling Peter that I'll see him soon. In order to get to the kitchen where there are mountains of beer and shit, I have to step over a few bodies and dodge a few grabby hands. It's 9:30pm and people are already wasted, typical teenage party over here. Before I grab a drink -wow big mind changer since this wasn't my plan- Grace spots me and waves me over, I make my way over to her and give her a hug.

"Hey Gwen!" she shouts over the music that is luckily a little less boisterous in the kitchen. I notice that her eyes don't quite settle on mine. "We need to get you drunk, my frrrrrriend."

"Uh..."

"You relaaax." She slurs a bit and shoves a plastic cup, filled with who knows what, into my hand.

"Are you wasted?" I ask, taking a sip of the drink and grimacing at the taste.

"Nah, girl. I am fiiine."

I see Dave a few spaces behind her, talking to a redhead called Hailey.

"Dave!" I shout and shake my head mockingly. "You should've kept Grace on a leash."

"She's fine. You heard her!" he shouts back and grins.

"She's wasted."

"Tipsy." He amends and comes over to us with Hailey in tow. I take another sip of the drink and then decide to just down the rest.

Grace sifts closer to me and rests her head on my shoulder and sighs. She mumble something incoherent, and then repeats it a bit louder. Gotta get Gwen drunk. I laugh and Dave dives into a conversation about a band he saw last week and I'm only half listening because Grace has now snaked an arm around my neck and she is hugging me real tight.