Reunion and Truth

Alethia 

Absence is often said to make the heart grow stronger, which you couldn't help but find to be true after being without your soulmate for five weeks now. Studies over time had shown that most people become overly attached, addicted, to their soulmate during the first two years of the relationship. You had always found those studies ridiculous until you had found your own intended. Withdrawl from a soulmate was a nauseating sort of sensation that has left you aching and lonely, something of which you were embarrassed to admit to your family and friends. How embarrassing is it to say that you feel so hollow despite being surrounded by numerous people who love and support you unconditionally?

So, for those lonely five weeks, you do everything that you possibly can to distract yourself from your own numbness. You ghost from place to place with your friends, your mind hazy and vacant. On occasion you think that you can see him in crowds of people, only to be disappointed to find that the person is an inferior version of your own partner. Eventually, you take to actively searching for them by calling, texting, and searching all feasible possibilities of their current location. Today, in particular, you have decided to scour a place that you know for certain that your soulmate would enjoy, which was―

Jeff the Killer:

―an old, seedy pub in the middle of town. You take care of your appearance, but not enough to seem too desperate. If by chance Jeff is there you want to look enticing enough to catch his attention alone and not the other unsavory people inhabiting the bar.

You shifted anxiously in front of the bar door for two minutes before someone comes to stand next to you, enlivening the air with the fresh scent of strawberries and a hint of copper. "Excuse me, darling, are you lost?" Your eyes flick upwards after taking in her long stocking feet and strappy pumps before settling on her face, feeling strangely underdressed.

"Yes? No? I don't―," you ramble awkwardly, face feeling dangerously warm. What type of loser just loiters around outside of some bar alone?

The woman laughs, voice clear and charming. She smiles down at you before holding out a perfectly manicured hand, "Would you like a drink? I'll buy!" You don't hesitate and take the offer quickly, thankful to the kind woman for taking pity on you. You spend at least ten minutes with the woman at the bar before you feel an intuitive sensation overcome your mind. Jeff was here somewhere― you just had to be bold enough to find him.

After excusing yourself politely, you find yourself weaving through the pub and glancing in almost every booth that you pass by. However, it is not Jeff's appearance that gives him away, but rather, his low, boisterous laugh. Your stomach flips and suddenly you feel much less confident than you had before. None the less you continue on your quest and find Jeff in a booth with another man, one very different from your soulmate. They almost appear to be two different sides of a coin, one night and the other day. You are immediately thrown into a confused stupor.

"(Name)?" Jeff's voice breaks you out of your confused state. Your eyes flick from Jeff's own dark eyes to the stranger's curious stare. If Jeff was going to avoid you for five weeks then it would be his job to explain himself. You do your best to seem intimidating, towering over the pair seated in the booth. Clearly, your attempt at displaying dominance isn't very impressive because Jeff's companion snorts and has to look away so he doesn't offend you. "What are you doing here?"