Chapter 36: The alien in our midst

Jesse's POV

After 20 minutes, I decided to get downstairs. I left Sid in my room, to calm down. She was really taken back by what had happened here, between her and my parents. She really didn't know what she did wrong. And it was so hard for me to explain to her what she did wrong.

I walked into the kitchen, and saw mom doing the dishes. She was cleaning cooking supplies, which I'm guessing were the ones Sid used for breakfast. She was rubbing the sponge harshly against a plate. A plate that didn't even appear to be that dirty. She was clearly frustrated.

My dad was reading some papers, probably for his job. He was so focused that he didn't even seem to notice I was present in the kitchen. They were both clearly in their own world.

I cleared my throat, immediately gaining their attention. "Hey."

Dad put aside the papers he was looking at while mom stopped doing the dishes. "You have some explaining to do." She dried her hands and than sat down at the table. She motioned me to sit down as well.

I let out a sigh before sitting down. I leaned back in the chair, expecting a lot of yelling coming my way.

"That woman you're dating..." Mom paused, but I could see she was boiling from anger. "She's with you for the wrong reasons."

"She's using you." Dad went on. "She just wants to get into our country."

I looked down, shaking my head. "I know," I then looked up. "I'm here to explain it." I sat up straight, trying to come off as calm and collected. "Sidney isn't from here, and she needs our help to fit in with the rest."

Mom and dad looked at each other, sharing a look, before looking back at me. "Where does she come from?"

I gulped before getting up. "We'll have a talk about this, a serious and honest talk. But not now, I'm going to get everyone for that." I started making my way out of the kitchen.

"Why do they need to be there for that?"

I turned back to them. "Because I want everyone to know." I then left the kitchen and went back upstairs.

___________________________

10 minutes later and we were all seated in the living room. Mom and dad on one side, seated right next to each other, no physical contact. Their eyes were glued to me and Sid.

I was seated next to Sid, but our hands were tangled. I wanted to show her I was here for her, and this was the best way right now.

Nicole was seated on Joyce's lap, they were seated at the last couch in the living room.

"So..." Nicole started, breaking the tensed atmosphere. "We're going to talk about Sid?"

I nodded and then looked at mom and dad. "What Sid told you this morning was all true." I started to which Sid nodded. "She's not a liar," I then looked at her. "She hates that." I showed her a small smile.

She returned it.

"So what does this mean? She'll marry you to get into this country?"

"Kind of," I leaned into the couch, I was starting to relax. "But not right now. We have to figure something out so she gets citizenship."

"Jesse," Dad started, he was leaning closer to me. He seemed upset. "Who is she? And where did you find her?"

I looked from dad to Sid, looking her straight in her beautiful eyes. The eyes I fell in love with. The eyes I, strangely, created. "She's my dreamgirl," I then looked at my parents. "I met her in my dream."

Mom huffed, shaking her head. While dad was looking so confused.

"What Jesse means is that she felt so depressed and lonely, so she dreamed about being in a relationship with Sidney here." Nicole said, patting Sid's shoulder. "But somehow she figured out a way to get to this world." She let out a breath. "I know this sounds impossible and crazy," She slowly nodded. "And trust me, I've thought that they were both on something when they told me. But honestly, look at Sid, she's clearly foreign to this world."

My parents looked from Nicole to Sid. Suddenly they seemed intrigued. "So, she's your imaginary friend, Jesse?"

I slowly nodded.

"And she came to life?"

I once again nodded.

Dad let out a sound of approval while mom just nodded. Mom looked at Sid. "So you really are new to this world and just want to fit in?"

Sid slowly nodded, I could see she was still unsure how to react. I think the events that occurred this morning really stuck with her.

"Unbelievable..."

"Tell me about it." Nicole mumbled. "I still have a hard time understanding it, but the proof is all in front of our eyes."

"How so?"

"Easy," Nicole got up and turned on the tv. "Sid, what's this?"

Sid looked at the tv, and immediately her eyes beamed with curiosity. "I believe that is a television. Right?"

Nicole seemed taken back. "How do you know that?"

"Well I learned." She then looked at me. "Jesse brought some books."

Nicole rolled her eyes. "And how do we call this?" She pointed to the screen. I understood what she was referring to, though I wonder if Sid will too.

"Uhm..."

"This thing," Nicole kept tapping the screen. "You even went to look at one with Jesse."

"Oh, moving pictures?" Sid smiled proudly. I guess she hasn't read about that yet... "Right?"

Nicole smiled proudly as well, her point was proven. She then looked at mom and dad. "Give her anything digital and she won't recognize it." She then went back to Joyce and sat back down. "That's why I know she's an alien to this world."

I looked from her to my parents. "I know this is a lot to take in, but we're saying the truth. I was so surprised when I woke up and she was here, in this world. But I can't be more happy," I then looked at Sid, holding her hands that much tighter. "She's all I ever wanted in a partner. She's my everything." I then looked back at mom and dad. "She's my dream that became reality."