Death is Inevitable

It was dark. So dark. Before him all was empty, there was nothing. Just endless oblivion. He couldn't breathe, the idea of doing so made him feel uncomfortable. Such silence was not to be broken, by breath or voice alike. A sense of loneliness engulfed him and yet he sensed the presence of another. Where was he? Who was he? Moving presented the possibility of discovery concerning such questions and yet he could not. Like a child scared in their bed, refusing to move from beneath the duvet, he remained still, lungs burning.

His time was running out. He needed to breathe. How do you breathe again? Internally, he cried out to the silence for help. Panicked, and his heart pounding like a timer til his end, he began to struggle. First he tried to wiggle his fingers but failed in doing so. This soon escalated to desperate thrashing as his body quivered. The pounding timer sped up. The silence simply watched, it offered no assistance, it mocked him. Finally, the timer stopped, as did his desperate thrashing, and yet his suffering did not. Once again all was silent. He could do naught but observe the oblivion. He had no thoughts, he simply saw.

******

"We've lost another one." Sighed the masked figure. She carefully opened the chamber door and plucked the tube from his forearm. These human experiments were a drag. Not a single survivor as of yet. Calmly, she took his place following the removal of his corpse. Failure results in death in this industry, and unfortunately, failure is the only result given. Death is inevitable.

~Written by fujoshi_pxtterson
Okayy, it's not exactly terrifying but it was fun to write, also -welcometoeden (the owner of the account I'm co-authoring with) is super amazing and I hope she's reading this!