Chapter 4

“But Lily, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Alex said, confused.

“I never know when I’m going to die” He brushed a lock of wig out of my face

“Lily, you’re not ill; or dying”

“I am. My hair hasn’t changed once since the end of year nine, has it? It’s stayed exactly the same colour and exactly the same length. Want to know why?” Alex nodded “Because it’s not my hair, it’s a wig. I lost all my hair last year.”

“Why...?”

“The chemotherapy stripped me of my hair, it kept coming out in chunks and I didn’t want the world to know”

“Wait; you’ve had cancer?” I nodded

“I still do...” Alex twisted his head and locked his lips onto mine. The kiss felt good, fresh, alive.

“The limo’s here,” Sam said, coming towards us. Emma helped me up, and together with Sam they supported my thin body to the limousine. We all got in, Emma in a more conventional manner than when we set off from her house, and drove off. I was upset at the fact that I was never able to complete my prom night, but I was glad that it happened.

By the time we reached Emma’s house for the second time that night I was feeling a little better, but not by much. We walked in to find two bottles of champagne and a big box of chocolates alongside a note. ‘Hope you had fun tonight, Girls. There was another bottle, but it went missing.’ it read. Sam and I looked at Emma. “What?” she flushed bright red. We all changed into our pyjamas and sat in front of the TV with a movie, the champagne and the chocolates. As usual, I ate nothing; however I did join Sam and Emma in a glass of champagne.

By the time the movie ended it was 2am. We all decided to settle down. I took off my wig and slipped under the duvet lain across the sofa in Emma’s room. I watched Sam, sleeping on the floor, for a few minutes before closing my eyes. As I fell into a deep sleep my breathing slowed, and finally stopped...