New Start

July 15

"It's been exactly a year since... since Genocide had killed all those innocent people. We've got reports from the police that she is dead. Genocide is dead," the news anchor said happily.

"That's one less villain to worry about," the other commented.

I look away from the tv, hiding my face in my hands. The door opened and someone walked in, turning off the tv.

"Sage, we should be going now"

"This doesn't seem right," I mumble against my hands. "It's been a year"

"What better day to start new than the anniversary of the day you... did what you did? Tie this day to a better memory than that"

"I don't know"

He knelt in front of me, removing my hands from my face. His blue eyes were kind and he was smiling softly.

"Do this for yourself. Show yourself you aren't who you used to be"

I sigh. "It's not as easy as it sounds to forgive yourself for everything you've done"

"We're going to be late, come on, before I have to carry you"

I don't say anything so he picks me up in his arms, carrying me out the door. He put me in the limo then got in himself, keeping an arm around my shoulder while Marceau drove us towards the grand opening of my new store.

"Smile, be happy about this new start," Dick whispers in my ear.

"Madame, we've arrived"

A bunch of people were crowded around the outside of the building, waiting for me to arrive and announce the grand opening of the Brook Outlet in Gotham. Marceau opened the door for me and I stepped out, taking a deep breath.

The crowd cheered and applauded once they saw me walk up to the front, standing in front of the doors. Dick stood by, being the bodyguard he was pretending to be.

"Thank you, everyone, for coming. It's a big change but I wanted to make something for the public. Welcome to the grand opening of the Brook Outlet, a store where the clothes are cheap yet durable. And please, no fighting over the clothes, if there isn't anything left then just talk to an employee, they'll get an order in for a new shipment right away!"

Everyone piled into the store, swerving around me. I waited for everyone to go inside until stepping out of my place. All of the employees I had assigned on this project were standing outside with me, watching the customers.

"This is amazing," Samantha says. "You really know how to run a business"

"It's just second nature to me now"

"I applaud you," Deanna says with a giant smile. "Let's go get some celebratory beer!"

"Drinking all that you do isn't healthy," Cassy tells her.

"Whatever," Deanna grumbles.

"Let a girl live a little," Charlie tells Cassy.

"You guys can, I have more work to do"

"You know you could just hire someone to do that work for you," Gabrielle tells me.

"There's no point in running a business unless you're the one doing the work"

"Come on guys, let's leave the girl alone because it's clear that's what she wants," Lucy tells them all. "See you later, Ms. Brook"

They all went towards the nearest bar and I laughed. From the corner of my eye I could see Dick smile, probably because this was the first time I laughed in a while. My mind was too busy thinking of all those people I killed years ago, it made me stressed about how this was going to turn out.

"We shouldn't stand here forever," Dick says, shocking me out of my dazed state.

"Right. Marceau, I have work to do at the company. Could you take me?"

"Of course, madame"

Marceau drove me and Dick towards my company building. We took the elevator to the top floor and I stepped out of it into my office. Dick went to sit on the couch, turning on the tv, while I went to my desk where piles of papers were stacked.

"What's all that for?" Dick asks.

"For the buildings, the new employees, the fabrics..."

"So, it's for all the money you spent"

"Yup"

"What do you have to do?"

"I just gotta sign everywhere it needs me to, so they know I agreed to all these payments, and I need to read them over to make sure it's all things I did order and that there aren't any mistakes"

I started signing everywhere I found a 'sign here' section. My hand started to get tired after the fifteenth page, but I kept writing. Dick came over and stood beside me, watching me continue signing papers.

"How about when you're done we go get something to eat. I've got a table reserved for dinner"

"That sounds great," I say, sounding very unenthusiastic.

Two hours later, at around 6:00, I was finished. We went to the restaurant Dick told me about and ate. Dick told me about some of the bad guys he had taken down in the past, I told him about some fights I had gotten into involving other super villains.

"Yeah, Ivy does not appreciate others using her beautiful plants against her," I said.

"Excuse me, miss," someone said from beside the table.

I looked over and saw a blonde haired girl with her hair in pigtails. She was wearing a waitresses uniform, so I guessed she was just a fan looking for an autograph.

"Yes?"

"I'm such a huge fan of your work," she says in a Brooklyn accent.

"What work is that? And what's your name?"

"Oh I'm Ha-Hailey. And your clothing designs silly"

"That's nice to hear. What was it you wanted?"

"Just a picture would be nice"

We took a picture and she walked off excitedly, going back to the kitchen.

"Does that happen often?" Dick asks me.

"Not really. I guess this new company has just made me even more popular"