Chapter 4: Our Story Begins.

"Ahh, oof" We all stay down for a moment, in the initial shock of being flung to the deck. As we slowly stand, we can see that maybe trying to take down Black Beard anywhere near Ocracoke Inlet was a bad idea. He has ran us through an area he knew we would run aground, and we have. These waters are shallow, and he knows them well. "Where are we?" I yell out.

          "Neuse River!" We look ahead. We can see the Pearl is stuck to. I hear screams, and then I see the men throwing everything over board.

          "GATHER EVERYTHING! FOOD, GUNPOWDER, EVERYTHING AND PUT IT TO THE SEA!" On the captains orders, we all start grabbing what we can and throwing it. The Pearl has broken free, and has moved in on Edward Teache's little shi. I stop and watch, and I can hear Charles and Black Beard screaming at each other.

          "Who are you?! Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarter, or take any from you!"

          Charles screams back, "I expected no quarter from a black guard like you, nor will I take any!" The cannons from Black Beards ship rip across the decks of The Pearl. Its then that I realize some of the cannon fire has made its way past The Pearl over to our ship. Ten or so men hit the deck. Screams come from all sides, and everyone on The Pearl has fallen to the deck. After the smoke clears, I see Maynard making strange motions, and then only he and a few others rise to their feet.

          "Oh no, prepare yourselves boys! Their about to take The Pearl!" someone on our ship yells out.

          "Wait," I say, "I think Maynard up to something!"

          I hear Black Beard scream out, as he and his crew threw grappling hooks at The Pearl, to drag it closer, "All are knocked on their heads, so lets climb aboard and cut them to pieces!" Ten to fifteen pirates jump over onto the ship, and soon as they do, to the shock of every one on board our ship, several men from below decks charge up onto the decks of The Pearl, and slam into the pirates. Gun shots and mettle against mettle ring out into the air.

          "Were free!" our captain exclaims. Our ship lurches forward in the wind, throwing us all off balance, but not badly and we all recover easily. The captain orders, "Get the injured below deck! Were going to take the rest of the pirates still defending their ship!" We head straight for Black Beards ship. The fighting is slowing on board The Pearl. It looks like Black Beard has already either been captured, or is dead. We move in beside the ship, and the captain yells, "No quarter!" I draw my cutlass, and run as fast as I can, jumping over onto the other ship. I am met by a wildly swinging pirate, but just before he hits me, I draw my pistol and shoot him. He drops to the deck as I enter another sword fight with a second pirate. He falls, and I look over, seeing our captain in a desperate fight. I take my empty pistol, and throw it as hard as I can, hitting the pirate right in the rips, and distracting him long enough for the captain to make the kill.

          "WE SURRENDER!" I hear a pirate scream. I don't know which it was, but all the pirates begin dropping their weapons. Cheers come from The Pearl, as those pirates begin to surrender as well. I look to the captain as he orders for them all to be bound and put back on The Ranger. I sit back against the rails of Black Beard's ship as I watch his crew be bound and led off the ship. I cant help but notice Charles cutting off Black Beard's head. It almost seems kind of barbaric.

          "Wait a second!" I mumble. I squint my eyes. That man is much to scrawny to be Black Beard. He doesn't even have that large of a beard!