Chapter 5: Finding Hope.

TWO YEARS LATER.

          I lean over the rails thinking about all the things that have happened over the last two years. I found out shortly after I returned from that auction that Charles was dead. My only connection from Haley was gone, and my dear friend at that. I still mourn their losses to this day. I've not stepped foot in that inn ever since. I haven't saw nor heard from my uncle, although I do know what plantation he's on. He was sold to chap in the Morgan family. Most around here know Henry Morgan. Used to be the islands governor. He came over to Jamaica, and got famous for raiding Spanish ports along the Spanish Main. The one that bought my father is a nephew, son, something like that. Dosn't really matter. I'm under Captain Jonathan Barnet. Where chasing some bloke named Jack Rackham. He used to sail with Charles Vane. He's become pretty popular, or rather, notorious in these waters for having to women on board his ship. Mrs. Anne Bonny and Mary Reid. He recently captured a small fishing boat, which may seem like no real prize, but it was to the crew on board. 

          "Alright boys, here we go, Rackham's ship, dead ahead! Run out the guns!" That's my cue. I move over and help the gunners pull the top cannons into position. As we draw closer to the ship, I move below decks to make sure our broadsides are in place. I will wait here for the captain to yell fire, and then relay the message down here to the broadsides. I am usually to stand with the rest of the crew and shoot our muskets, and then swing onto the other ship, but our head gunner has fallin sick, so the job has been left to me. Its early morning now. The goal is for Rackham and his crew to still be asleep, or at least long enough for us to get close to them. Our ship begins to turn, and although I'm part way down the stairs, I can still see above deck, enough to be able to look down on Rackham's ship. Two pirates on the deck screaming below deck. Nothing happens, and the captain starts giving orders.

          "Alright boys, draw the sails and ready the hooks! Muskets, ready!"

          "Ready!" is the reply.

          "Gunners ready?"

          "Ready!" I yell.

          "OPEN FIRE!" the captain yells. 

          I look down into the second floor and yell, "Fire! Give 'er all ya got!" The blast is deafening, and I'm sure it woke the pirates on board. I walk back up enough to see the other ship, and what I see dosn't surprise me. It's not taken long to realize most pirates are cowards. The crew comes running up on the deck, and dropping their weapons. Our men toss the plank down to their ship, and begin walking onto it. I stand by the rails with my sword ready in case anyone tries to make a break for it. Several pirates pass. I try to guess which one must be the captain. I see what must be Anne and Mary. Their hair is matted, and they reek of alcohol and body Oder. They look around menacingly. Close to last I finally spot the captain. Calico Jack Rackham. He gets his nickname from the fancy clothes he wears. He, like the other crew mates, all smell of spirits. If I had to have my guess, I'd say they are all coming off a night of drinking. He looks at me, and stops for a second, and just glares at me.

          "Got something to say? I'd best be sayin' it while I'm bound. Else I'd stab ya here and watch ya fall in the ocean." he spits at me. 

          I nudge him sarcastically with my sword and say, "Keep movin' Jack. It's the end of the line here." He spits again, and is shoved by the guard behind him. We start working on tieing ropes to the front his small sloop, to tow it back to Spanish Town Jamaica. That's where his trial will be. We get it set, and after cleaning out the cannons, and putting everything back in order, we set underway. We sail for the rest of the day. It's on into the night when I sneak down to the hold. Most of the pirates are asleep, but a few are up.