Newsies: 1899 Sucks

A/n: Slightly late, but I have two other one shots, one of which will be up today and the other will hopefully be soon? I keep forgetting how busy weekdays are. On Sunday night I stop writing and think I'll finish it the next day, then suddenly it's Saturday and I've done nothing.

This is for @dealiaz who asked for Crutchie being angsty about his bad leg. This is mostly Jackcrutchie, but their is also some little-kid-newsie interaction. Hope you like it!

Crutchie knew the day was going to be bad the minute he woke up. For one thing he woke up at four am with his leg hurting. He just turned over in bed hoping it would go away, but he was unable to fall asleep until the morning bell rang. Then during breakfast and the morning routine it felt like all the newsies were watching him for a chance to help. Seriously he could open a door by himself.

The circulation gate was even worse. The Delancey's must have been having a bad day because it felt like there was even more heckiling than usual. Needless to say when he was finally on his way home he didn't want to talk to anyone.

"Hey Crutch" Jack ran too catch up to him and Crutchie had to restrain himself from rolling his eyes. He loved Jack, but Jack tended to be very... overbearing.

"Hi Jack" Crutchie muttered trying to keep his focus on his feet to keep from tripping on the uneven concrete.

"Bad day?" Jack looked concerned and Crutchie managed a small smile.

"It's nothing"

"Okay" Jack didn't look convinced, but Crutchie was sending out a very strong I don't want to talk vibe. Instead Jack changed to subject "Didja see Race this mornin?"

"No" Crutchie had been on a mission to avoid everyone.

"He had a very large bruise on the side of his neck" Jack coughed when he said bruise, clearly not convinced by Race's story.

"Good for him" As annoyed as Crutchie was he did mean it. Hopefully that meant Race and Spot had finally gotten their shit together.

"I know ya don't want to talk about it, but are you sure you're okay?" Jack reached out to touch Crutchie's shoulder but he flinched away.

"Leave it Jack" There was a hint of warning in his voice and Jack clearly noticed

His response was interrupted by someone walking up behind them and pushing Crutchie down. "Hey cr*p"

The Delanceys cornered them against the wall and Crutchie shot to his feet "What do you want Morris" Crutchie addressed the brother that had spoken and shot the other a glare.

"You didn't seem well this morning" Oscar teased "Have you finally reached the end of the line?"

"Fuck off Oscar" Jack pushed himself in front of Crutchie and crossed his arms.

"You picking a fight newsie" Morris cracked his knuckles and stood face to face with Jack "You're lucky your little boyfriend was here to protect you cr*p"

The words hit exactly where Morris was hoping they would. Crutchie froze and closed his eyes "Back off Jack"

Jack's eyes flitted to Crutchie worriedly but he took a step back in trust "You sure?"

"Back off" The words were more forceful this time and Jack looked down at his feet. "You don't want to try me tonight Morris. I bet a black eye wouldn't look too good on your stupid little face"

Morris visibly backed off and Oscar did the same "One day he's not going to be protecting you" Oscar spat and Jack's feet and they disappeared into the shadows right from where they came from.