Chapter 3

"Do you really mean it?" Siwan asked, voice laced with hope.

Heechul smiled, one of the most beautiful smiles ever, in Siwan's eyes.

"Yes, I mean it."

"Im Siwan, will you be my friend?"

Siwan grinned happily, looking almost adorably idiotic, to Heechul, as he wrapped Heechul in a bear hug.

Ever since that day, the two had been a lot closer, close enough for Heechul to smile in the elder's presence. Siwan also managed to convince Heechul to come out of his hiding spot in class during lunch.

"Because you're gonna make me broke if I keep on having to feed you," he said, as he dragged Heechul out of the classroom. The younger had his hood pulled over his head which hung low to prevent others from seeing his unique and hateful point. Unfortunately, many others easily recognised him. Seeing him beside Siwan earned Siwan many questions, like, "Why would you bother spending time with a creep like him?" It broke Heechul's heart, the pain evident in his face as he mentally punched himself for placing Siwan in such a position.

"That's because he's nice. And caring. And he's not a creep, he's human just like me. That's why, I'm his friend. His best friend, to be exact." Siwan winked at Heechul, whose features softened at the elder's kind words.

However, spending more time with Heechul brought Siwan unwanted attention from others. It wasn't long before those others found out about Siwan's own imperfections.

The two were walking to the bus stop one day when two larger boys from the school, most probably delinquents, grabbed hold of them and dragged them into an alleyway.

"So, Im Siwan, you've got a past of your own huh?" one of them sneered. Heechul whipped his head around to look nervously at Siwan, who looked deathly pale.

His secret had been found out.

"So that's why you hang out with this loser here. Tryina find more guys as low as you, huh?" he mocked, raising a fist, ready to punch the boy to the ground.

Siwan couldn't react fast enough, and the next thing he knew, a fist came flying towards his face. He shut his eyes, fearing the worst.

Just then, Siwan felt a heavy weight, pushing him onto the ground, a soft hand cupping the back if his head to break the fall. His eyes flew open, only to realise his friend on top of him arms wrapped around him protectively, their faces inches apart. Heechul winced and groaned in pain.

"Don't... Don't get him involved with this.... It isn't his fault...." he pleaded softly, his body slowly recovering from the pain. Siwan panicked and opened his mouth to protest when Heechul clamped his palm on his mouth, staring at him with eyes that were slightly pleading, slightly insisting.

"You wanna protect your boyfriend so much, huh? Then go ahead."

Heechul felt a heavy force against his back as he was being kicked mercilessly. He clutched onto the smaller boy even tighter, as if he would get seperated from him any moment. Siwan watched his friend receive all the injuries meant for him, horrified. He was the older one... He should be the one protecting Heechul, not the other way round!! Tears welled up in Siwan's eyes as the kicks continued to rain down on the younger's pained body.

"Tch. Losers," the boy held up an offensive middle finger towards them before stalking off, leaving Heechul writhing in pain in the rock hard ground.

"Heechul!!!!" Siwan yelled and helped Heechul up to a sitting position. "Why did you do that, you pabo!!!"

Heechul placed a scratched hand on Siwan's trembling arm, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"Are.... Are you alright?"

Siwan burst into tears once again.

"Stop worrying about me and care for yourself first!! We gotta bring you to a doctor!!" Siwan yelled and tried to carry Heechul up.

Heechul used his remaining strength to place both hands on Siwan's shoulders.

"I asked, are you alright?"

Siwan tried to protest but Heechul placed a finger on his lips, silencing the elder. Finally, Siwan gave a slow nod.

Heechul breathed a sigh of relief.
"Thank God..." he whispered, before collapsing in a heap on Siwan's lap.