Old friends

Every one was sat comfortably on the logs put on the rough sand of Sanghelios around blazing camp fires reaching high in to the sky, it was an old tradition and had been lit to celebrate the defeat on the covenant once again and the safe return of the Spartans back to sangheli home world. Many of the sangheli were feasting and telling story's of glory on the battlefield around their respective fires, relaxing in the small amount of time that they had to rest before the storm hit with cortana and the guardians for it may be their last for a rather long time.

Although one was missing, the famed Master Chief. A quick glance around confirmed that he was not too far away. Sat hunched over with his helmet off and head in his hands on another log near the edge of the cliff. A pang of sorrow resided in the arbiters chest at the sight.

Ever the recluse, arbiter mused remorsefully from his place with blue team and Osiris discussing plans, he doesn't blame the man for being they way he is, he had long since found out the circumstances of his childhood and the hardships he had faced and with losing the only family he had ever had, watching a close friend die in his arms and watching one of his only remaining friend lose their minds with nothing he could do to help but stand and watch them suffer. Not to mention the years of relentless combat and ever growing stress; one can only ponder the toll it had taken on the man.

As the night stretched on and the moons rose in the sky aliens and humans alike began peeling off to tents to catch some much needed sleep; until only a few remained. Now was perhaps the best opportunity to have a conversation with the only human that he truly cared for and had truly missed in his presumed death and years of absence, and had left a hole in his life despite them only sharing a brief time together on the battle field and on board an in amber clad. Using his baritone voice but with a warm depth that he only reserved for one man, he called said man over to join him near his now smoldering fire patting the space on the log next to him as an invitation. The call gained the mans attention who raised his head in recognition with a too tired gaze and half a smile. Chief trudged his way over exhaustion etched into his face, sitting down besides him Thel could practically hear the spartans muscles and bones groan at the strain and little rest, and the barely hidden grimace on his friends face only served to emphasis this.   

Thel quickly came to the realization that this was the first time seeing john without his ever present helmet for more than a quick glance, it was instead hanging loosely from his limp hand, scuffed and battered like its owner. John was not like the common humans the arbiter had seen roaming the halls of ships, bases and those fighting along side him, instead he was ghostly pale, almost ashen with dark bags residing under his icy blue eyes dimmed with fatigue and war but with the inkling of warmth he hadn't seen from his companion all evening giving the impression that it had been saved for him alone. A dust of light freckles had settled on his face along with a scar engraved in the bridge of his nose. With the similar colored hair as the freckles it was short but long enough that his still armored hand was carding through in a vague attempt to ease his racing thoughts. Sharp jaw line with yet another scar marking it on the left side defining his remarkable appearance, all in all it was exactly what the arbiter had expected and all he hadn't, he was striking in a way, unique, suiting the mans carefully hidden personality. 

Thel is brought back to the present by a heavy sigh coming from his friend beside him before chief stated "so long time no see."

"You can say that again my friend, i have missed your presence by my side."

"Huh, same here. I'd gotten used to your occasional battle cry from over my shoulder" a weak but genuine smile stretched over his features replacing the previous dead expression. In turn arbiter let out a breathy laugh smiling  to the best of his ability but the spartan got the gesture as chiefs smile widened.