Head in Hands

"Why am I here?" I asked, watching as he tensed up slightly before looking back down to the packet of information.

"What do you mean? Your part of the team, why wouldn't you be here?" He answered back, checking me over once I moved over to the bed and sat down; my body facing Steve while my eyes watched the window.

"I know but, everyone has a role to play here. Banner is science, he's helping to detect the radioactive increases in an area. Natasha is looking on coms and is trying to find this guy, while being her usual assassin self. Tony is helping supply the whole mission while being one of the driving forces to complete it; and well you, Thor and Clint are going to be bringing this guy in. With my limited knowledge and training and control over my powers, I don't see how I can help in anyway?" I explained, feeling myself get frustrated. "I don't understand why Fury brought me into the team in the first place." I whisper under my breath, kind of hoping he wouldn't hear... but of course he did.

Steve stood up from his seat at the desk, slowly stalked over to me before bending down to my height next to the bed. "Fury brought you onto this team because he saw potential in you to be greater than just some girl with some power. I see it too." I smiled, listening to his sweet words. His smile showing through as he continued to talk. "You may not be an agent yet or be able to help as much as you want to yet, but you are here for a reason, Maddy!" Only at the end of his speech did I realise he was holding onto my hands. Encasing and protecting them, which in turn comforted me greatly. He kept looking at me and I couldn't stop looking at him. His featured becoming more detailed as I studied them.

"Thank you, Steve." I said quietly, still not releasing my gaze. He smiled slightly, but just enough to bring crinkles to the corners of his eyes. I couldn't stop myself when I started to lean in, it was almost as of he was pulling me towards him. His eyes seem to flutter slightly before he jumped back, his stance becoming robotic and awkward. I stood with him, only just realising the consequences of my actions. "Shit, sorry... I, uh. I didn't mean to. That didn't mean anyt-" He cut me off before I could properly explain.

"It's okay, I have to go see Banner." He quickly left the room, picking hi info sheet up before he left. I grunted, my head falling into my hands. What had I just done?

"You're an idiot Maddy." I whispered to myself before dangerously thinking about what could have happened. If I had kissed Steve, what would have happened? Would we have got in trouble because we work together? Would the rest of the team have found out? What about Ward? Instead of being left with my thoughts, I thought I would go to the main living/kitchen and find something to drink... it would give me something to do.

As I left the room, I couldn't help but feel embarrassed, like I had this huge secret that I was trying to hide. Which I did and was. As I was passing the other rooms, I couldn't hear anyone inside, so either they were extremely quiet, or everyone was out either training or researching... which is probably what I should be doing.

After minutes of endless wandering through Stark halls, I found the room I was looking for, and as I entered, the overwhelming view hit me again. However, this time I didn't stop to look and instead walked straight to the taps in the Kitchen. Again, it took another minute to find the glasses before filling up my cup with water and enjoying its cold relieving abilities. All the questions swallowed and suppressed for now. I jumped when I heard the door on main door on my left open and in walked Tony, smiling.

"I take it you kissed him?" He chuckled, to which I chocked on the water travel down my throat.

"What?" I screeched, confused as to how he would know that something like that happened. Did he have cameras in the room or something? A microphone maybe?

"I just bumped into him in the halls. His face is like you just told him the tooth fairy doesn't exist." He explained, as he continued to be amused by my reaction.

"We, no. We didn't kiss, that, uh. That didn't happen." I stuttered.

"I wouldn't be surprised if it did though." He concluded, strutting over to the isle I was standing at. He pulled out a glass from behind him and like me started pouring himself a glass.

"Hey look Stark. I really appreciate you letting me stay here, even though I'm not yet an official agent, meaning in not really an official Avenger, but I don't need to be here, I'm sure I'm just wasting space and time. I should be back at the Helicarrier training, here I'm just getting in everyone's way." I said quickly, hoping he won't be offended.

"You can train here, not only with your combat skills and technical skills but also train with your powers, how they work and how to control them. And I know Banner want you round to study you. But don't worry, you're not some weird lab rat to him, he just likes figuring and helping people out." He said before throwing in a quick smile at the end, while also grabbing a green apple and again heading for the door.

"Thanks Tony!" I shouted after him.

"And you still have to tell me about that kiss!" he shouted back to me.

"We didn't kiss, Stark!"