Chapter 1

Alexander turned the key around, examining the gleaming sliver surface under the moonlit window. It was already well into the night, but the gathering questions in his head about the imprisoned princess prevented him from sleeping. He inhaled deeply.

He and his father had decided to stay at the castle until Cassandra was released from her prison and was safely crowned queen. They both had discussed the matter, and aggreed upon keeping the imprisoned princess as a secret. Only after they had figured out how to break the chains the witch had placed on the princess would the secret of Cassandra's existance be revealed.

It was not a good time for Xenia to not have a ruler in its lead. To the Vampira Empire, Xenia would be regarded as weak without a ruler and an easy kingdom to dominate. But there was still the matter of the princess' illness. Would it affect her ability to rule? Or perphaps she could be cured?

He shook his head; it was definitely no use wondering over such things, they would be answered once the princess had been released. 

There was definitely a lot of things that needed to be done during the next week or so. But for now he knew that, if he were to allow the masses of question to hover in his head, he would get not one wink of sleep tonight.

Chuckling, he pocketed the sliver key and made his way to the soft satin bed across the room.

* * *

The single candle flickered on the pine desk next to a glum figure. Lord Albert was slumped in his wooden chair, with his face resting on his wrinkled palms. He was deeply grieved at the lost of his dearest friend. In the candlelight, he looked as frail as ever; creases deeply lined his forehead and his white hair had not a trace of grey.

But grief had started to be forced away by another matter; The Vampira Empire. How much time would they have to figure out how to release Cassandra? One thing was for sure, if they did not manage to free the princess from her bounds before the Vampira Empire advanced into Xenia's borders, it would be too late to save the kingdom.

In the gloom, a single tear rolled down his cheek.