Chapter 5: The Memory

Billie. Billie! BILLIE! I wake up with a start, seeing a woman standing above me. She is wearing all white, and she has her hair tied up. I look at myself, wondering how I got here. Wait, I'm not actually here! I realize I'm dreaming, or re-living a memory, as it seems. I think I'm four or five in this. Five year old me stands up and follows the woman. 

As we walk down a long, white hallway, the lady says, "You will be meeting the others in your group today child. They are around your age. Play nice." A door opens to a small playroom. Sitting around on the floor are three young boys, playing with miscellaneous toys and action figures. They look up at me when the door opens. I hear the door shut and look to see that the woman in white is gone.

"Hullo! My name is Galileo, but you can call me Gally. What is your name?" One of the boys asks me. He playing with action figures in the corner. "My name is Billie," I respond. One of the boy snickers. My head shoots to him. He's playing with a dump truck in a sandpit. "Isn't that a boy name?" He says. I march up to him and pour sand on his tar-black hair. "No. It is my name. Poo-head." I say, adding a potty language insult at the end. The boy's eyes grow wide. He smiles. "I like you. My name is Minho," He says, tossing sand at me. I smile back at him. Looking to the last boy in the room, I say, "Hello! What is your name?" He looks up at me surprised. "M-my name is Newton, but I prefer Newt," he replied. "Nice to meet you," I say. "Why don't we all play together?" The dream fades to black, and I'm left to darkness. I hear buzzing in my ears. The buzzing gradually grows into voices, familiar voices.

I wake up with a start, gasping for air. I look over to a surprised Newt. "Uhh, CLINT! She woke up!" Newt yells. A boy runs into the room I'm in and his expression turns shocked. "What? You were in deep sleep, like, a minute ago! It's not possible to wake up that fast! That's li-" Minho runs in, along with Thomas, cutting the boy named Clint off. "Greenie! You're awake!" Thomas shouts as he runs over to me. Thomas engulfs me in a bear hug. Minho runs over and together they sandwich me. I feel others adding to the hug pile. Soon enough, I can hear what sounds like all the gladers laughing and shouting. "Glad you're awake Greenie," Thomas whispers in my ear.

Once the Gladers go back to their jobs, I ask the question that's been on my mind since I woke up. "How long was I out for?" They exchange glances. Clint finally says, "You were out for almost a week. We had to stitch your head up. When you fell, you were hurt pretty bad." 

Once I have permission, I walk over to Frypan's for dinner. On the way, we pass a hole in the ground with a wood barred door over it. I saw two boys helping Gally out of it. Gally looked over at me and jogged over here. "Uh oh," I say as I poke Newt and point at Gally. Gally puts his hands up and says, "Whoah, I'm not gonna pick a fight Gree-" "My name is Billie," I interrupt. "When did you remember that?" Newt asks. "When I was asleep. I saw a memory." I say. Wait. "I remember. I remember! Omygosh I remember!" I start freaking out, jumping up and down and screaming. When I calm down, everyone in the dining area is, once again, staring at me. I flush a pink color in embarrassment and get in line for food. 

Once dinner is over, Thomas comes up to me and invites me to the Deadheads, a foresty area in one of the corners of the Glade. It's normally really spooky, but going with Thomas makes me feel safer. "So, what do you remember?" He asks. "It was me when I was little. I was sent into a room with young Newt, Minho, and Gally. We played together, and that was about it." I explain. Thomas looks disappointed. "I wasn't in it?" He prompts. "Nope, I don't know why though." "Oh," Thomas says, face falling. We look up at the stars. "Shouldn't we head over to homestead?" I ask. "Yeah, let's get going." Thomas gets up and offers me his hand. I take it and he helps me up. I let go of his hand and walk to homestead, Thomas right behind me. We have to wind our way through the maze (no pun intended) of sleeping Gladers. Once we reach my hammock, Thomas says goodnight and goes to his on the other side of the homestead. He mouths goodnight to me once he gets to his hammock. I smile and turn around in my hammock. Soon enough, I drift to sleep.

A/N: Hi! Here's an update! I'm working on a second one for today, to make up for yesterday's missed one. See you later!z

PS: The image is what they would look like as little kids.