Prelude to a Demise

Night had long since fallen when the silver coupe skirted around the school's fountain, headlights casting long shadows behind the twin statues. It skidded to a stop. A red haired boy climbed niftily out of the vehicle, an A4 paper envelope tucked under an arm and his luggage lazilly dragged along by the other. The gentle trickling of water was all that was heard after the coupe sped off into the distance, the driver glad to have his job done at last. Everyone else seemed to be asleep. 

He walked towards the massive structure, the wheels of the luggage rattling intermittently on the small square tiles. He didn't feel particularly excited at the thought of transferring to the city's most prestigious academy, nor did he feel the slightest bit nervous. To the boy, it was merely another event that would pass with the flow of time, unnoticed. He never stayed in one place for long, after all.

From behind the glass doors, a light flickered on. He raised his head to see a silhouette coming towards him.

"Hey," a youthful and song-like voice came from the shadows. It sounded smooth and natural, with a trace of sharpness in its quality. "What's your name?

"Keisari Kyo. I'm in dormitory 298."

"Ah." Was that hesitation in her voice?

As he headed towards the amber lights, the face of the speaker became more apparent. She was pale, her angular face framed by a sideswept fringe. Sleek, dark hair had melted into gentle waves beyond her shoulders, and she wore a uniform of sorts even at this hour of the night. The crisp folds of her glossy jacket was finished off by a red tie around her neck, and a silver brooch on the left breast pocket.

"Follow me."

The command was almost toneless, surprisingly cold and contrasting to her previously charming nature. 

— Charming? 

That, Keisari found, might not be an accurate way to describe the atmosphere surrounding the girl at all. It seemed more like a nobility as cold and elite as a fleeting shadow, almost hauntingly mysterious. There and then, he questioned once again what he was doing at the school in the first place.

She turned on a heel and began to walk, each step brisk and well judged. She must have been wearing high heeled boots of sorts, for a rhythmic click sounded with every step. The boy gingerly followed, allowing himself to be led through sumptuous glass doors and into the brighter fields within the building.

"Your dormitory..." the dark eyed girl started up a flight of stairs, crossing a bridge of glass that led them to the dormitory blocks. Approaching a thick wooden door, she twisted the knob, revealing the interior of the cell-like room. "Your dormitory will be this one."

Keisari studied the number engraved on the metal plate, hanging at the center of the door. Stepping inside, he glanced around and made note of the two beds and the single small window, half shaded by a thin, colorless curtain. There had been an office desk set crammed into a corner, along with a small shelf to keep his belongings in. There was already another bag inside, with clothes and gadgets strewn across an unmade bed. There was, however, no sign of the inhabitant. Keisari wheeled his luggage along, settling it beside the marbled wall.

"By the way," the girl craned her neck to face Keisari as she headed back through the doorway. "My name is Enma; Yonoko Enma." Skillfully, she had distracted the newcomer with her words, fishing out a stapler and brandishing the functional edge with a simple flick. Reaching out in one swift movement, she embedded the tip deep into the boy's shoulder, all in a flash. "Spelt with an 'N' then an 'M'."

His strength wavered, sinking onto his knees as he gaped at the girl in awe. By now, Enma had retracted the stapler and made her way down the hallway beyond.