02. Still A Virgin

❤

..

02. STILL A VIRGIN

"Did you or did you not allow Kyle to blow your back out last weekend? I need all the details."

Joshua is too busy chatting it up with Rory in the Twitter DM's to stop and pay any mind to Lucas, his co-worker and friend.

It's been a few days since Joshua got the notification that Rory had started following him on Twitter. Joshua freaked out for a solid ten minutes before mustering up the courage to send his crush a private message asking if the follow had been intentional or an accident. Joshua never expected to get a reply back minutes later. Rory told him that it was definitely intentional, and the smiley face at the end of Rory's message had almost sent Joshua into cardiac arrest.

Fast forward to now, Joshua and Rory have yet to exit their Twitter DM's. They've been messaging back and forth as if they were long-lost friends that had finally reunited with one another. Joshua hasn't told Tamia or Lucas about what he's been up to, so for the time being, his newfound relationship with Rory Carter is a secret that only he knows about.

"Hello! Earth to Joshua Jones." Lucas, like an annoying sibling that's desperate for attention, pokes Joshua in the side until the boy eventually turns to acknowledge him.

"Yes, Lucas?" Joshua huffs while putting his phone away.

Lucas Jordan is a lanky and energetic redhead who runs his mouth more than he works. He is also Joshua's close friend and only source of entertainment when it comes to working this bland job. For those reasons, Joshua gives Lucas a smile and decides to cut him some slack.

"What was your question again? I wasn't paying attention. Sorry."

"Apology accepted." Lucas grins, easy to please. "As I was saying, lately I've been super busy being spoiled by my new sugar daddy that I haven't had the chance to ask Kyle how the date went between you two, so... how did it go, and more importantly, how did the night end?"

"Kyle and I didn't have sex, so I'm still a virgin. As for how the date went, it was a meh out of ten. Kyle is a total narcissist who would barely let me speak. I have no plans to ever see him again." Joshua chuckles as Lucas's expression shifts from excited to disappointed. "While I appreciate you trying to help me out, I must say... your matchmaking skills are trash."

"Hey! You have to throw Tamia in there too because she helped me vet him," Lucas says. "Anyway, I'm sorry this whole thing turned out to be a mess for you. I promise this is the last time that I meddle with your love life." Lucas gives Joshua an apologetic smile while ruffling his curly brown hair. Joshua promptly gives Lucas a threatening look in response. "Calm down, little one. You're still as cute as a button," Lucas adds as Joshua proceeds to fix his hair. "Seriously, though, I really am sorry about the date being such a bust."

For someone like Joshua, a guy who considers staying at home to binge-watch shows on Netflix more fun compared to going out clubbing with friends, Lucas and Tamia knew that it had taken a lot for Joshua to sit through that blind date with Kyle.

Joshua had previously told Tamia that he would try to do better, try to be better, and spend less time drooling over Rory Carter. The date with Kyle had been him trying.

Surely Tamia can now loosen the reigns and let Joshua get back to fanboying in peace.

"No worries," Joshua says. "I'm over it."

"Welp. If you're over it, then I'm over it too." Lucas laughs, briefly glancing around the empty supermarket. "Looks like it's going to be a slow day today, huh?"

"Yeah. I've been here for about three hours and only had two people come through my line," Joshua says. "I like the quiet that comes with slow days, but I also hate how the time drags because there's nothing to do. Scanning and bagging groceries at least keeps me active."

"You're insane. I'd never complain about not having anything to do. We're literally getting paid to stand here and look pretty," Lucas replies. "Speaking of pretty. Just when the hell are you going to grow up? Makes me so damn jealous to see how slowly you're aging." Lucas tries to pinch Joshua's cheeks, laughing after Joshua swats his hand away. "Sorry. Can't help myself sometimes. You're just too adorable."

Adorable. Cute. Pretty.

Those words come up the most when describing Joshua Jones. He's twenty-two-years-old but can easily pass as a high schooler. Standing at 5'6 with a slender build, short curly brown hair, light brown eyes, and soft features that appeal to almost everyone, Joshua finds his youthful appearance to be both a blessing and a curse.

A blessing because some people find it hard to say no whenever he gives them his signature pout; a curse because some people are simply unable to take him seriously, and like Lucas, find themselves treating Joshua like a child instead of a grown man.

"Since I have nothing to clean and no groceries to help you bag..." Lucas pauses, yawning. "At least tell me something interesting to keep me from falling asleep."

"Sorry, bud. I have nothing interesting to tell," Joshua lies, getting ready to pull his cell phone out to finish debating Rory about why Netflix is the superior streaming app.

"Then let's talk about something that you can easily ramble about for hours—Rory Carter." Lucas smirks, looking mischievous. "Has the love of your life stopped by today?"

"N-No, he hasn't." Joshua is so whipped for Rory that his heart flutters at the mere mention of Rory's name. How embarrassing. "He came in a few times last week, but I haven't seen him any this week. I assume he's busy working on new videos or something."

As if the universe felt like making Joshua smile today, the sliding doors to the grocery store open, and in walks Rory Carter.

"Ah. Speak of the devil and he shall appear." Lucas quietly laughs while pointing in Rory's direction. Joshua looks up from his phone and nearly drops it as he watches Rory come in and disappear down one of the aisles. "I guess I'll take my leave and pretend to be busy someplace else in the store. I don't want to crowd your space now that Mr. Abs-For-Days is here."

"W-wait, Lucas!" Joshua frantically whispers, but it's too late. "Damn it."

After Joshua's moral support skips away, he does his best to remain calm, knowing that soon, he and Rory Carter will be face to face again.

END OF CHAPTER 2

...

a/n: it's not too early to start ship names lol let's go!