Chapter thirteen

A knock sounded throughout the apartment and both Kate and Elisabeth looked at each other with big eyes. With only their eye contact Kate got her question quickly answered and knew either her nor her daughter had invited anyone for the evening. Kate quickly signed bedroom and as Elisabeth immediately sneaked away Kate pulled out her gun from her holster at her hip, clicking off the safety as she walked towards the door. She got to her door and glanced through the peephole only to roll her eyes at the sight.

"Liz! It's okay!" she called out as she opened the door to reveal her best friend at the other side.

Kate clicked on the safety again before holstering her gun at her hip again.

"I come baring gifts!" Lanie said the second Elisabeth came into view, holding up a plastic bag containing Chinese food.

Elisabeth gave up a joy filled shout as she ran to her aunt in order to give her a hug as disguise of stealing the bag. Kate couldn't help but laugh at the sneaky little thing as she ran to their dining table.

"Hi girl," Lanie said as she turned to hug Kate.

Kate greeted her best friend before she closed the door and they joined the brunette already stuffing her mouth full with food.

"Slow down or you'll get tummy ache," Kate warned her daughter who only groaned at the comment.

"But it's so good mom," she complained and Kate chuckled, shaking her head.

The two women joined the little girl, quickly finding the right container, of course Lanie knew everyone's favorite, and dug in.

—————————————

"Wait, so, you met with him? Today?!"

Kate immediately hushed her friend, glancing towards the bedroom and praying her daughter was actually asleep. After dinner all three of them had watched a movie together with popcorn and soda for the girl and wine for the women. Considering Elisabeth had been sliding in and out of sleep for the last half hour of the movie Kate helped the girl into bed the second the movie was over, kissing her peanut on the head and wishing her goodnight before rejoining her best friend on the couch. Of course by then Lanie had demanded Kate to tell her everything that had happened, everything.

"Yeah, I did," Kate answered and Lanie's eyes got even bigger with the shock on full display.

"Wh... h... d..." Lanie stuttered, probably not really knowing what to say.

"I don't know why Lane," Kate whined. "I... I just know that I... he's making me feel so... carefree," she groaned, putting her hands over her face to hide. "I don't know why I agreed to meet him today but seeing his smile, the way he lit up the second he, only god knows how, put a smile on my face, it made me... feel so..." Kate couldn't find the words, she had never been good at words, and normally Lanie would just agree and move on but for some reason she had a big grin on her face as she asked her to go on. "Warm?" Kate tried the word out, was that what she felt? A warmth spread through her chest? Yeah. That could be it. She nodded at her own word, thinking it was most likely the one she'd been able to close pinpoint to the things she felt.

"Kate?" Lanie said very softly and Kate hummed with confusion, her best friend was never that soft in her voice when they discussed things like this. Not that they talked about this stuff a lot considering Kate hadn't either dated nor gone out much with friends other than her. When Lanie didn't say more Kate looked at her and saw Lanie looking straight in her eyes with a gentle smile on her lips. "I think you need to go out on a date with him."

Kate's eyes immediately shot opened wide and she shook her head violently. "No, no. I'm not dating. Not him nor anyone else." Her voice was weak, much to her disappointment, and her best friend nodded slowly.