lightbulbs.

terms to know for this chapter:

m.i.t. = manager in training

conversion = the ratio of people who walk into a store vs how many people make purchases.

d.m. = district manager (kinda in charge. a store manager’s boss.)

“so you can’t take the coupon?” awsten refrained from rolling his eyes at the question.

“no, ma’am, it’s expired. the code won’t work.”

“can’t you just, like, take it off in the system?”

"you want me to override my system, which i can lose my job for, so you can pay one hundred and forty five dollars instead of one hundred and fifty for a pair of dr martens?” he raised an eyebrow at her, hoping she would realize how foolish she sounded.

“well, yeah.” no such luck.

“i’m sorry ma’am, i can’t take your coupon, i’m not interested in losing my job.” awsten told her. “the most i can do is offer the coupon that would print with your receipt.”

“can i come back with my receipt and the coupon, then?” he wanted to slam his head in to the register.

“no, the coupon isn’t good until three days after your purchase, since the coupon wasn’t valid when you bought the shoes, the price adjustment won’t work.”

“well, then what’s the point of printing me a coupon if i can’t use it?” finally, he gave up.

“ma’am, do you want the shoes or not?” she looked at him before finally sighing and nodding. he began to ring her up.

“what’s your email?” he asked her.

“do i have to?”

“if you like coupons, i would.” he deadpanned. she immediately began reciting her long, complicated email that sounded like it was made in 2005.

he rushed her out, not wanting to hear more complaints about coupons. otto looked at him with a smirk right after, chuckling at his misfortune.

“laugh all you want, i still had a hundred fifty dollar sale.” awsten bragged. otto then glared at him. “i’m gonna go put some of the shipment up, shout if you need me.” otto mockingly saluted the blue boy. he walked to the stockroom and started sorting through the sku numbers on the shoe boxes.

this was gonna be one long shift.

XxX

geoff let out a groan of frustration as he glanced at the clock for the seventh time in ten minutes. the holiday season had just wrapped up, and nobody was in the store. he looked to the sales associate, zakk.

“i’m gonna go grab food. you need anything?” geoff offered.

“where you going?”

“chipotle, probably.”

“chips and guac.” zakk answered immediately. geoff chuckled and nodded, walking out of the store with his wallet in hand.