He's My Big Bad Wolf: Chapter 3

After two weeks, I finally started to feel more at home in the woods than I ever had in a house. My tutor Luna set us up on two wood benches that over looked most of the valley, so that way even though we were stuck with our noses in books we could still pull away and smell the moss on the trees and the moisture soaked into the ground. She was teaching me about our customs, what would be expected of me as the Alpha White, and what would eventually happen when I mate.

She taught me of the trees, birds, and everything I thought had always just been a weed. The best part of Luna being my tutor though, was getting to know her. She was my Beta, my aunt, and slowly becoming the best friend I had here.

Currently, we were on a break from my studies and she was brushing my hair for me. She explained to me about how my mother used to do it to her when she was little. My mother would sit outside with her like she is doing to me now and brush her hair while telling her stories of outside boys, human parties, and all the things that girls raised within the pack were not supposed to even know about.

I laughed along with her as she would retell me some of the stories. “That must have been crazy to grow up with. How much older is she than you? Ten years, right?” I moved myself away from her and the brush so I could turn around to face her.

“Mhm. She would have been fifty this year.” I watched as her face changed her cheerful expression now wistful as she dreamed of her sister. “She changed when she met your dad. She truly loved him and would have taken on the world for him, for you, or for your brothers. Your father helped her understand what her real duty was.”

“What do you mean?” Picking my legs up from either side of the bench, I brought them to my chest, hugging them tightly. I’m not sure if I wanted to know about this. What I could remember of my mother was smiles, her pancakes, and her yelling at my brothers. I was young, but I always knew my family. As a little girl I had dreams about wolves, and people going from human to wolf. A part of me always remembered my culture. A part of me knew I was being protected.

“Before your dad, her head was in the clouds. She wanted to run off and be with some human, she never mentioned his name.” Silently she shook her head but took a quiet breath before she began to speak again. “Then she met Kent and he turned her world around. They were mates and he became her Alpha Black. Something always told me though that she wasn’t happy with her life. About two weeks before she disappeared, she seemed more distant at meetings and bonfires. I could tell something was off with her. To be honest, I think she always dreamed of leaving again someday, like she did when she was a kid. Then, a few days before she vanished she was suddenly back to normal, happy and involved.” Her light green almond eyes watched a small baby bird fly off from the ground; her dark chestnut hair was lightly blowing in the wind. She might have been forty, but she looked like she was thirty. Her skin had only a few wrinkles and she was in shape.

That was how most wolves aged, gracefully. Even the men aged well, take my father for example, he was handsome for fifty. The only flaw were the scars. I don’t know how my mom could have left him or her handsome boys. Didn’t she want to see me grow up?

“What should I do?” I didn’t want to talk about my mother. I didn’t want to taint her image. She didn’t leave. She vanished. That’s all.

“About what?” For a moment her eyes furrowed and then she remembered what I had brought up to her earlier. “Oh, that boy. What’s his name? Jace?”

“Yeah.” I mumbled, a smile and blush both spreading widely across my face. “Do you think I could ever see him again?”

Her expression was one I had been seeing whenever the subject of my mother or my human “boyfriend” came up. It was a look that said, “I am trying to find the way to say this without hurting you too bad.” Finally she spoke, “Maka, you need to forget him. He is human, you are wolf. You will find your mate eventually, you are young! Come, let’s get back to your studies.”