chapter 4 ♛ a liar

"Can I have a ride?"

I can sense the look of confusion and surprise in their golden eyes—especially the boy who I've ran into twice yesterday. And may I say, his face is pretty beaten up. What happened to him? Also, yes, I know that they're from the fire nation but they're my only way out—and the old man named Iroh seems nice.

"You are princess Mizumi of the Northern Water Tribe." Iroh must have recognized me even though I've done my best to hide my usual look by removing the enormous ties on my hair and wearing a simple water tribe clothing. "It is an honor to meet you." He bowed down out of respect and I did the same as I looked at the boy beside him who seemed to be shocked of my status. Although, it wavered off as he spoke. "And yet you are running away. Why is that?" was his voice naturally husky?

I looked below and realized that he must've noticed the bag I had. And don't forget to mention the scabbard with a sword on my belt.

"Zuko, that is not a way to speak to a lady." Iroh scolded and smiled at me. "It would be an honor to give the princess a ride. Although I would much prefer riding on a water tribe ship, if you ask me." he gently chuckled, trying to make sure I was on a clear mind. He sure has a way with people.

I cleared my throat and began speaking. "I am going to Kyoshi Island by myself." They looked shocked. They must be wondering why. "I should be discreet for it was only my mother and I who talked about it since my father would not approve especially after my sister's death." they looked at me with a hint of sympathy in their eyes and I cursed inside of my head for lying and talking too much at the same time. "I need to get training from the Kyoshi warriors." I added to bring up one thing that wasn't a lie as I pointed at my sword. "I'm a nonbender." They looked convinced for they both nodded and let me on their ship—well, no it was technically a boat.

When we were already sailing, I sat down near the edge and inhaled the scent of the fresh breeze that passed by us. Ah, the scent of freedom. It was actually my first time to be out and to lie to other people—except maybe just for fun but this time was not the same as the past.

To be honest, it was my plan alone to go to Kyoshi Island. My mother had nothing to do with it. I only lied in desperation of getting away before they could catch up that I'm gone. I know that it'll be hard on my parents especially that Yue had been gone a few hours ago and now their only daughter alive had ran away. But this is the decision that I've made. Although, it was true that I will go to Kiyoshi Island to train. It had been my desire to be able to fight and defend myself. I didn't occurred to me that all it will took to push me was the ocean spirit himself and the death of my sister—well, technically she is still alive but as a spirit.

"I'm surprised, Prince Zuko, surprised that you are not at this moment trying to capture the Avatar." Iroh spoke and I raised my head to look at them, confused. Prince Zuko?

"I'm tired." Zuko spoke. His voice alone tells how much he was exhausted. Well, can't blame him. He'd been running for the whole day yesterday. Well, that still doesn't explain why Iroh called him Prince.

"Then you should rest." I saw Iroh place a hand on Zuko's shoulder. "A man needs his rest."

Zuko sprawled on half the space of our log-made boat and closed his eyes. Iroh met my gaze and he must've noticed my confusion for he went beside me and sat down, explaining. "I am the brother of Firelord Ozai and he is my nephew, the Firelord's son."

I gulped and nodded, suddenly becoming nervous. I've never been this close with a firebender or any fire nation at all, let alone a family member of the Firelord. Spirits, I hope you're with me right now.