Chapter Seven

The girl outside who greeted her had faded blue hair and matching dungarees. 

"Victoria, right?" She had a cheery grin on her face, a smile that was more gum than tooth, and kept shifting her weight from the balls of her feet, to the heel, and then back again.

It was the idle fidgeting of someone who had too much energy, or too many nerves, a sign that pushed the girl into the bracket of teenager. Vicky doubted the girl was much older than sixteen.

"Yeah, Vicky is fine though." She gave one last look to Mattheus before stepping outside and closing the door behind her. "You're Annabeth?"

The girl stuck her tongue out in mock disgust. "Call me Beth," she said as she moved away from the door and began to walk.

"Okay, sure." There was a lengthy pause before Vicky spoke again, trying to make idle conversation. "I've never worked at a seamstresses before- I honestly don't know what to expect."

Beth pulled a packet of gum out of her pocket and stuck one into her mouth. "Don't worry about it. My ma's real nice- she won't make you do something you can't."

"Your mum?"

"Mhmm." Beth made a sound of confirmation and waved the gum packet in front of Vicky in silent question.

Vicky thought about it before nodding yes, reaching to accept the minty sweet on offer. Except, just as she had a tab of gum in her grip, a lady crashed into her from the side and it flew out of her hand, landing on the dirty floor.

She span around to grab the lady's arm, helping to rebalance her on her feet.

"Wow, I'm so sorry."  She said, looking at the woman in confusion. "I didn't see you. Or hear you."

That was strange. 

It was like the woman had just come out of nowhere, moving so fast that neither Vicky nor Beth had noticed her; something oddly reminiscent of the previous night when she had been unable to see the movement of Christopher's head from the side of the room to her neck.

The woman looked up at her like she'd seen a ghost, tearing herself way from Vicky's grip and practically leaping backwards. She teetered on her feet again before finding her footing a second time.

"Are you okay?"

The long, platinum hair on her head bounced as she shook her head, face wracked with disbelief. 

"Oh my gosh," she uttered. Her hand moved up to cover her mouth. "Oh my gosh, you look just like him."

Vicky started to feel slightly creeped out by the woman's unstable behaviour. She didn't know whether to ask anymore questions or leave things the way they were. 

Looked like who?

Judging by the woman's frailer frame, and the fact that she had collided so heavily with Vicky as if she wasn't aware of how to use her eyes, it was clear to see that she was a made

That only made Vicky more wary. 

"Is-" The question she was going to ask went unsaid when the lady turned tail and sped off like a monster was hot on her trail. Vicky was left bemused, spinning to stare at Beth. "What on earth was that?"

Beth mirrored the same expression back and shrugged. "Absolutely no idea. I've never seen her around before. Must be a newbie."

Glancing down at the spoiled chewing gum, the two girls let out mystefied giggles before continuing their journey down the street.