Chapter Eleven

Time seemed to drag on and speed past all at once.

Adrenaline coursed through Vicky's veins as she haphazardly folded clothes and shoved toiletries in her small suitcase. It was surreal to consider that she was about to embark on an adventure with her father, brother and Mattheus of all people. 

She was scared, she had to admit. There was no doubt about that.

Over the last hour, all the morals that she thought she had had been called into question. She had never thought herself as one who would be sucked into the deep end of the revolution. Now, she was about to take part in what was essentially a murder mission, albeit she was coming to acknowledge that this was more than a cold blooded execution.

She appeased her conscience by reminding herself that this Bateman guy was only getting what was coming to him. Not only had he escaped from death row but he was a leader hellbent on turning shifters into objects of war.

If there was no stopping the spread of the shifter gene, and the human race was doomed to go extinct, the least she could do was make sure that people like Bateman had no part in it.

One thing she wasn't certain about was the other part of Henderson and Mattheus' plan- the part about creating a hierarchical system between the made wolves and the born wolves. In theory, the concept pulled on Vicky in all the right places. For a species who had always been unfairly persecuted, it even sounded like rightful retribution.

But then she would start to think about her mate and her mind would become all confused. 

Leaving with her family and Mattheus meant that she had chosen to leave him behind. It was a violation of every instinct in her body and even preparing to leave him physically hurt.

Yet she could still see an image in her mind, a vision of little pups running around her feet. Her offspring. 

What would they be considered? 

They would be the result of a paring between made and born- an anomaly that she didn't think the SRLP had thought about. 

She closed her bulging suitcase with a bang and zipped it up before hauling the heavy object off her bed. Despite the prior rush of adrenaline, she was still feeling the effects of exhaustion in her eyelids, the two pieces of flesh like sandpaper as she blinked.

She could feel Christopher's presence in the house and wanted nothing more than to push him down on the nearest surface and fall asleep on his chest. At this stage, even the floor would do.

Dragging her suitcase down the stairs, she determined in herself to seek him out before she left. One last glance at his face would have to suffice, anything more would have her resolve crumbling.

She didn't want to leave him. 

It was unnatural. 

She wondered if that would be the thing to kill her.

"Victoria." 

Her eyes flickered up as Christopher appeared in front of her, fast as lightning. His abrupt manner startled her and her sleepy haze was pushed back once more. 

Locking her kneecaps, she stopped herself from immediately walking into his arms. 

"What?" She asked, looking at the front door instead of his face.

"Look at me."

She stubbornly refused. "What do you want?"

Her hands were starting to tremble and she knew that she needed to leave. The bite mark on her neck was starting to throb and a warm sensation was collecting in the pit of her stomach.