16.3| Growing Unrest

In the end, they spent the entire day visiting various places that Noct was certain he would have been fine not knowing about. Other than that, the Crow Thief also learned to beware of Jul Orben's promises. She had been completely serious when she told them she would be touring him and Chell around the kingdom, because by the time sundown had arrived and the four had decided to go back to the palace, Noct was more than eager to lie down and rest his feet. He felt like he had trekked through an entire forest again. At the same time, he deeply admired Yoko's perseverance towards her companion. The Falcon Witch was simply too lively to contain.

After a lighthearted conversation over a delicious dinner course, Noct and Chell were led back to their room. The candles had been lit now that night had arrived, providing a soft orange glow over the hall's ornate designs that they passed by. A quiet atmosphere enveloped the palace in contrast to its scenery during the day, giving off the effect of a forbidden sanctuary. Even the maids and butlers they passed seemed to tread more quietly underneath the moonlight.

"Are you really fine with a single room?" Yoko asked with uncertainty as she and Jul arrived before the door, pausing for a moment.

Noct exchanged glances with Chell and smiled at the princess. "It's okay. The little miss can have all the bed for her tonight. I usually don't sleep, and when I do, I can sleep on the chair."

"Alright," Yoko nodded. "Well then, Jul and I will be taking our leave. Good night."

"Thank you." Noct bowed respectfully, thinking it was the right thing to do at that moment. By his side, Chell nodded firmly to her.

"Good night Chell, Noct!" Jul said, seemingly still filled with energy. "I can't wait for all the things I have planned for us tomorrow—!"

"Alright, alright, they need rest and we need to get going now." Yoko interrupted her sentence as she grabbed the her wrist and dragged the girl away.

The Crow Thief heard the satisfying thud and click of the lock as he closed the door without regret. He breathed a tired sigh he had been keeping in and turned to look behind him, seeing Chell's blank stare. He was amazed at how she could keep up her blank look even after such a tiring day of walking and being held against her will. "What a day, huh?"

In reply, Chell merely blinked. She looked away, turning to face the balcony before returning her gaze to Noct. Then, she parted her lips to speak in her usual quiet voice. "... I need... to talk with you."

Noct took a moment to realize that the Snow Witch was actually starting a conversation with him. He had thought that she was still irked after failing to save her from Jul's lively clutches, though he was certain he couldn't have done anything to help her even if he tried. He shrugged, finding himself with a small grin on his face. He nodded. "Of course. To the balcony, then?"

She nodded in reply.

Noct was again greeted with the same nightly scene as they both stepped outside, a familiar cold wind blowing at their faces and ruffling their clothes. He jumped onto the railings again without any fear or thought of falling and settled himself onto the same position he had adopted last time, movements as lithe as a cat. He sighed again in content. "Ah. Yes. My ass feels much better now."

Chell herself leaned on the same spot on the wall a few ways beside him. Her gaze was fixed on something in the dim-lit horizon. Like the night before, she looked surreal and otherworldly with her white hair that seemed to have been weaved out of streaks of moonlight, and her eyes that shone bright silver, piercing and intimidating. Like that, they were met with the same silence that Noct had grown accustomed to during their travels together. He waited politely for her to be the first one to speak.