Eric keeps his head low, and his strides short as he makes his way into school. His headphones are in, and he's got the volume of his music up high to prevent him hearing any comments. He can deal with the looks, but the comments stick with him for weeks. His fingers ache to pull out the cigarettes from his dark jean pockets and light one, and his tongue aches for the tiniest drop of anything alcoholic. As he looks up from the grimy linoleum, his eyes are instantly drawn to the vibrant red varsity jacket of Gerald Croft, the captain of the football team, the rich boy, ladies man. Eric's biggest crush (and Eric has had a few through the years). His hair is swooped backwards into a messy quiff that is still painfully attractive, and Eric watches on, trying to be discreet, as girls cling onto Gerald's arms and surround him. One of which is Sheila, Eric's sister. Eric knows Gerald has taken a preference to Sheila, as sometimes he looks out of his window after having walked home in the dripping rain, to see Gerald opening his car door for Sheila outside their house, and then Gerald will wrap his coat around Sheila's shoulders, and kiss her gently on the cheek whilst they both stand at the front door. Eric watches on with a concoction of butterflies and jealousy bubbling in his stomach. That could be him, but it won't be. That's the truth and Eric has to accept it.