"Hey."
"Hi," Eric breaths. He's not sure he can even trust himself to speak, as if he'll accidentally blurt something out that will ruin his life, which, in his nervous state, was probably not highly unlikely.
"So, history, eh?"
It's awkward, of course it is, because they don't know each other, and they've never spoken, and Eric's sure that Gerald is planning on suing their history teacher because he doesn't want to be stuck with the weirdo loser kid. He'll be the laughingstock of the school of it gets around, which undoubtably it will. They're polar opposites, and they definitely do not attract. So Eric decides to get it out of the way now, so that he doesn't have to deal with it later on.
"Look," He starts, turning to Gerald so that he knows that he's serious. "You may as well ask to change now." Gerald appears confused. "Groups, I get it, you don't want to be stuck with the loser. Just talk to her, I can work by myself, I'll be fine."
"Eric, I don't care. If people say stuff then they can fuck off. I want to work with you. I want to get to know you."
Eric actually stops breathing, and it feels like his heart stops beating in his chest. He knows it's silly, how can he be so infatuated with someone he doesn't even know? But when he's with Gerald, or even looking at him, he doesn't crave nicotine or alcohol and he feels happy.