Chapter Five: Connections

Jordan's abrupt departure from the conference room told Lia everything she needed to know-he was pissed. She couldn't say she blamed him. Zoe's behavior was totally uncalled for. Especially after everything Jordan had done for her.

Lia had always feared that without her family's guidance, Zoe would lose touch with reality. No doubt, Luca had a role to play with her new attitude.

As Zoe and Luca stepped into the elevator, Lia turned her attention back to Jordan. If she knew him, like she thought she did, she knew he wasn't going to take this laying down.

When she entered his office and found him on the phone, she sighed. No doubt, he was calling Jason.

"Close the door!" He barked. The look on his face when he realized it was Lia, told her he regretted the harsh order.

"Jason. I need you to do a background check, ASAP."

From the look on his face, Jason was telling him something he didn't want to hear. "I don't give a damn! Just do it!" He slammed the phone into the receiver. Before she could speak, he was on the phone again.

"Yeah, let me speak to Dom."

Lia took a seat. This was going to take a while. The chime of her phone took her attention off Jordan. It was Zoe.

Zoe: SORRY THINGS GOT HEATED. HOPE YOU CAN FORGIVE ME.

Her first instinct was to ignore the text, but she chose the high road. Despite everything, she cared for Zoe-like a little sister.

Lia: ALL IS FORGIVEN. JORDAN AND I ARE JUST LOOKING OUT FOR YOUR BEST INTEREST. YOU'RE MORE THAN JUST AN ARTIST TO US. YOU KNOW THAT, DON'T YOU?

The phone chimed back almost instantly.

Zoe: I KNOW.

Zoe: THAT'S WHY I FEEL SO BAD. I DIDN'T MEAN TO HURT YOU. LUCA IS A GOOD GUY. HE CARES ABOUT ME TOO.

Lia rolled her eyes.

Zoe: THIS WILL BE AMAZING! I CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK INTO THE STUDIO AGAIN. YOU'LL SEE.

Lia sighed. She wanted to be the voice of reason that Zoe so desperately needed. Luca was no good, but Zoe couldn't see it. She couldn't see it because she was in love-probably for the first time. Lia knew the feeling too well. When she was younger, no one could have convinced her that Jordan would betray her and break her heart like he did.

"Asegúrate de llevar tu arma." Jordan demanded, catching Lia's attention when he used the word gun. She'd overheard Jordan's conversation with one of the bodyguards. He was wearing a sidearm and referred to it in Spanish as 'arma'.

"A gun? Why do you need a gun?" Lia demanded as her pulse raced and her nostrils flared.

"I'll talk to you later." He quickly ended the call.

"Who were you talking to Jordan? And why do you need a gun?" She tried to steady her hands. This was not the man she thought she knew.

"Baby, it's nothing to worry about. Just a precaution."

"Against Luca? Why?" He wouldn't say anything, which only made her fears grow. "Who is this guy, Jordan?"

"Trouble." He ran his hand through his hair. "Zoe has no idea but she's sleeping with the devil."

Friday night came sooner than Lia would have liked-Diner with her parents. It wasn't going to be easy, especially since her mind was preoccupied with Zoe and the man she managed to get herself involved with.

Lia still couldn't believe the police report Jason read about Luca's past. According to the report, Luca was arrested for possession with intent to sell. He was a drug dealer at the tender age of fourteen. Allegedly, he earned the money to start his music career. Luca had ties to dangerous people-ties he hadn't broken.

"Are you alright?" Jordan startled her as he entered the bathroom.

"Yeah, just a little nervous." She returned to applying her make up.

"Why?" He smiled.

She rolled her eyes. "Do you even have to ask?" She mumbled as she thought about Jordan's conversation with his cousin Dominic.

Dominic was a shady character. Jordan wouldn't confirm it, but Lia suspected he was just as connected as Luca; which meant Jordan was connected-to God only knows who. The whole thing made her stomach turn.

"What?" He asked, placing his hand on her shoulders and smiling at her reflection.

"Nothing. You know how my mom can be. I just want tonight to be perfect." She lied, trying to avoid an argument.

Lifting her by one arm, he turned her, so she faced him. "It's going to be alright, baby. You'll see." He smiled as he planted a single kiss on her red lips.

Forcing a smile, she led him to believe he had succeeded in comforting her-but he hadn't. She knew things were going to go wrong. Horribly wrong.