Chapter Twenty-Two: ペイン

~Pein~

Nagato watched Konan recollect herself, she seemed to have finally stopped crying. He didn't feel any better, but he was glad that she was no longer shedding tears. His face felt stiff with dried tears. She didn't look at him, however, her eyes were fixed to a corner. "Did he say how long you had?" She finally asked, her eyes still fixed to the corner.

"He didn't..." Nagato whispered. "I don't think he knows... He only told me that..."

Konan nodded and sighed. "What're we going to tell the others?"

"I doubt they would care." Nagato chuckled, bitterly. "Especially Hidan."

"Don't forget they only know your physical body as Deva Path, who seems just fine." Konan snapped. "Nagato, don't take this situation too lightly, don't take it as if your life is already over."

"Seeing you upset like this makes me feel like my life is already over!" Nagato shouted, he felt a burning pain in his chest. And he held back a cough. He hated seeing her so upset, wouldn't it honestly be better for her if he was out of her life? He's already been so willing to sacrifice himself for her. It was the heroic thing to do. Ironically romantic.

Konan gasped, her amber eyes were filled with pain, then her face distorted into a mask of hurt and fury. Her lips were at a thin line, her fists were clenched at her sides. Everything about her posture was unfamiliar, he had honestly never seen her this angry before. "Seeing me upset makes you like this? Do you even know what's making me upset? It's not about you dying, Nagato. It's about how you're already giving up. I knew that... That... That someday this day would come, I didn't expect it to be so soon, but I prepared myself. I wasn't crying over the fact you were dying. I was crying because you seemed so willing to give up."

"Isn't that what's supposed to happen?" Nagato whispered, unsure what to really say.

"Isn't what supposed to happen?" Konan demanded, she was still angry, her shoulders had relaxed, yet her tone was still acidic.

"I'm sacrificing myself for you." Nagato whispered. "That's... Romantic, isn't it?"

"Nagato! Are you seriously putting that before our problem right now? I don't care about that! I care about you not giving up!" Konan yelled, her eyes were shining with tears, her breathing was getting sharp.

Nagato felt the pain in his chest turn into an ache. He was making matters worse. What else is he supposed to do right now? He spent several years in love, but he has never lived the experience to love. Correctly, that is. With the person you admire and long for the most in your life. He wasn't sure what to say anymore, he was starting to realize that he was speaking out of emotion. Was he? Or was he speaking out of fear?

"I'm going to go back to the others." Konan said, her voice voice sounded strained. "Good night, Nagato."

"Oyasumi," Nagato replied after she exited the cave. Then, after he was positive that she was out of the area. "Gomen nasai... Konan... I've failed you." He hung his head down, letting the ache in his chest gnaw at the only good that was left in his soul.