7: Abduction

Summer, July 1979, Tuesday 9:32pm

After freshening up underneath the bliss of a nice hot shower, you towel dried your hair and dressed yourself in your spare black turtleneck and blue flares; you didn't need to wear anything fancy since, hey, it was only Camp Crystal Lake you were heading back to. You finished packing your backpack once again, preparing yourself with the obvious: Flashlight, water, map despite being covered with writing, and finally, for reasons which you wished you could explain, a kitchen knife. You held the knife tightly in your fist and stared at the blade as if uncertain weather you should bring it or not. You reflected and brought yourself to a answer, and on that final thought, you crudely shoved the blade into your backpack.

You swiftly flung the backpack over your shoulder and threaded your arms through the straps. You stood slightly on edge gazing at your hopeless reflection.
"(Y/N), (Y/N), (Y/N), what the hell are you doing?" You asked yourself aloud. You let out a shaky sigh and rubbed your brow in self questioning. You were about to make another ridiculous remark towards yourself until you heard the blaring of Rex's pickup truck outside.
"Hey, (Y/N), c'mon! We're burning daylight...and will power!" Rex bellowed sarcastically. You rolled your eyes and laughed, even though it sounded more like a sigh.

You walked out of your house and locked up behind you, slightly nervous as you didn't know what time you'd be returning to the safety of your home. You reluctantly turned and walked over to the pickup truck that Rex was already seated in. Even he looked nervous. He was sat there in the driver's seat gently gnawing on his thumb, his other hand was dangling out of the open window tapping the side of the door rapidly. You walked around the other side of the large vehicle, opened the heavy door and slammed it shut causing the whole thing to slightly rattle. Rex looked over at you and caught onto your nervous behaviour.
"Hey, you ok? Is it Jason?" He asked shifting to face you. Rex knew you all too well, you couldn't lie to him. When he thought something was wrong, something was wrong. You turned and for a split second, you were tempted to lie to Rex and say that you had a stomach ache, but no, you felt like you had to tell him the truth.
"No, it's...well, Jason doesn't help the situation but, I'm nervous, that's all." You replied letting your head fall backwards onto the headrest of your seat. Rex was about to reply but stopped himself; he knew trying to calm you down was pointless, even he was secretly nervous, the least he could do was reassure you. Rex smiled and gave your thigh a hearty pat before turning the Keyes in the ignition and starting the the truck followed by that same thunderous roar of the engine. You blinked and faced forward as Rex began to drive the slow, long journey to Camp Crystal Lake.

Summer, July 1979, Tuesday 11:12pm

"Hey, I gotta take a leak, where's the nearest gas station?" Rex asked as he shifted uncomfortably.
"Oh, just about a mile up." You replied. You knew these parts well, but still you felt like scolding Rex's bladder for making him need to use a restroom now; this part of town was very, well, dodgy. People would either be kidnapped, mugged or even killed around these parts, and for some reason you never trusted gas stations around here.

Within about 5 minutes driving along a relatively populated road, Rex pulled into the gas station. He parked up next to one of the fuel stations and jumped out of the truck.
"Alright, wait here I won't be long, need anything?" Rex asked poking his head through the door before shutting it.
"Uh yeah, could you get me a Pepsi, please?" You asked, your mouth watering at the thought of drinking your favourite fizzing beverage. Rex complied and took a swift jog into the gas station. You sat in the truck for at least 4 minutes before Rex returned, as said, with a can of Pepsi in hand. He handed it to you but strangely didn't look at you.
"Rex? What's wrong?" You asked looking concerned and confused. Rex started the truck and drove away, seemingly in a hurry.
"Nothing, it's just there was this old creepy guy in there that said he recognised my truck. He said he saw us go up to the camp before." Rex replied sounding relatively concerned.
"Who cares? It's just some creepy old guy-" Rex cut you off.
"He said he'd call the cops if we went there again." Rex added looking over at you. You were confused, Rex was never one to overreact and panic about some old guy you've never seen and perhaps will never even see again. You cracked open your Pepsi and took a long swig. You pulled the can away from your mouth and screwed up your face as the fizzy liquid began to lightly sting your tastebuds.

You placed the can in between your knees and playfully slapped Rex's thigh. Rex looked at you and smiled slightly; presumably confused by your sudden change of mood.
"Hey we've never even seen the guy before, and he doesn't even know we're going back up there, Rex." You remarked. After a few seconds of silence, Rex just laughed slightly and agreed, turning the keys in the ignition and continuing the drive up to Camp Crystal Lake.

Summer, July 1979, Wednesday 12:02am

As planned, you arrived at the camp. You and Rex sat in silence for at least 2 minutes just gazing at the glistening lake water. You admired how the small layer of ice blue fog covered the water like some kind of lagoon. The silence was torn apart by the click and rattle of the seatbelt being released; Rex had unbuckled himself and was prepared to exit the safety of the truck.
"You ready?" Rex exhaled determinedly as his had hovered over the door handle. You sighed and nodded with determination as you clutched your backpack.

You followed Rex out of the truck flinging your backpack over your shoulder. You quietly and carefully pushed the door shut. The door didn't entirely close but Rex didn't call you up on it, he just slammed his door shut. Yet, after his action the bumper roughly fell to the gravel ground with a sharp clatter.
"Aw shit." Rex huffed as he pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration.
"Hang on, (Y/N). I just gotta deal with this, I've been trying to take it to a shop to get it fixed but I don't have the cash right now." Rex remarked blandly as he rolled his eyes at you as if saying 'see what I have to deal with'.
"Oh sure go ahead." You encouraged, trying your best not to chuckle.

Rex fished into the back of his truck and picked up a large, wooden mallet. He walked over to you with the mallet in hand, spinning it between his fingers.
"Good thing I got this bad boy." Rex added playfully nudging your arm with his elbow. Rex eyed the Mattel and screamed. There was a huge spider clinging to the handle just centimetres away from Rex's hand. Not knowing what else to do, Rex flailed his hand and unintentionally flung the mallet onto the worn out, moss covered dock. It hit the dock with a loud 'thud' and slid across it at least 4 feet until it fell into the lake below.

Rex growled with frustration and embarrassment and spade around like an angry toddler. You laughed and patted him on the shoulder.
"Don't worry I'll get it." You reassured Rex, as you placed your backpack onto the ground and jogged over to the dock. You approached the dock and eyed it sceptically, you were questioning whether it would hold your weight or not, but regardless you had to get the mallet back. You cautiously stepped onto the dock, shuffling along as the kept your eyes on the rippling water beneath you. Just as you neared the end of the beaten up dock, the mallet was in sight. It was just bobbing up and down floating in the dark water.

"I see it!" You called back at Rex.
"Ok, hurry away from there, that thing looks like it could give way any second!" Rex called back to you as the walked towards the dock. You looked back down at the mallet and shuffled closer to the edge of the chipping planks of damp wood barely holding you up. You reached down cautiously grasping for the mallet. After a few failed attempts, you finally grasped the mallet.
"Rex! I got i-" you were cut off by something cold, wet and tight wrapping itself around you wrist. You squealed and looked back at your wrist. A hand was tightly grasping your shaking wrist, attempting to pull you under the cold, dark water.

You fought back all you could, and you could barely hear the padding and fumbling of Rex's footsteps behind you. Rex was yelling incomprehensible things to you, things like "(Y/N)! Hang on I'm coming!" And "Oh my god, what the hell! Let her go!" Before Rex could reach you however, the hand flexed its finger tighter around your wrist to the point where your hand began to throb in pain. The hand then swiftly pulled you into the freezing cold embrace of the lake water. Half of the dock also collapsed after you. You flailed around in the cold water, kicking and screaming as the hand began to mercilessly drag you down further through the water. The shock of it all caused you to pass out.