Chapter 13: Morada's Demise Part 1

"Are you absolutely positive she's going to be there?" Khanu asked for the millionth time.

"Yes," Salwa replied for the equally millionth time, "she is going to be there."

"And you know this how?" Salwa turned around to face Khanu and I, a murderous look on her face.

"That bird, the one she sent the scroll with, is native only to that particular region in the Fire Nation! Now would you please stop distracting me so I can fly Og straight?!"

"She needs a chill pill," Khanu whispered to me, his breath tickling my ear. I could feel goosebumps crawling up my arms, but I couldn't tell if they were from the cold or something else.

To make things worse, a cold breeze drifted across the saddle on Og's back, making me even colder. I shivered against my own will. Curse these Fire Nation clothes, I thought. Apparently, it was supposed to be really hot there, which was why I was wearing a tank top and shorts.

"You cold?" Khanu asked. I shook my head.

"No, I'm fine."

"Yeah, right." He scooted closer to me and began to wrap his arms around me. I scooted away. "Would you relax? I'm trying to help you." He wrapped his arms around me again, but unlike the cold skin I had on my hands and arms, his were nice and toasty. I practically melted into his arms.

I tried to get myself to think that this was just something a friend was doing for a friend. I'm afraid it didn't work very well. It wasn't that I was trying not to be attracted to him, it was just that there was something that was turning me away from him that I couldn't quite figure out.

I didn't want to be disappointed or heartbroken if I ignored it, but then found out what it was. It was better to keep my distance. And even better to stay on task.

"So how much farther?" I yelled over the oncoming wind.

"We're close. I'd say about another 20 minutes, then we'll be in the general area."

"But it'll still take forever to find Morada," Khanu muttered. As much as I hated to admit it, I couldn't agree more.

*****************************

Mao Day's guards grabbed me before I could run.

"I guess I'll have to speed up the interrogation process," Mao Day said. Turning to Ummi, she continued, "And as for you, you'll have to be exterminated. In fact, you'll both have to be exterminated. After I'm done with Morada's interrogation, of course."

She turned and walked out the door, her guards dragging us along.

********************************

"Luna, we've been walking for hours," Salwa complained. "Can't we take a break?"

"We can't stop now!" I exclaimed. "We have to keep looking! There's still a lot of the day left."

"Luna," Khanu said seriously, "that lady we talked to may have been right that 'when someone is lost, they're usually by the caves', but these stretch for miles! Just face it, we're not going to find her today."

I sighed. "Fine. But let's just make it to that cave." I pointed to the one in front of us. "Then we can stop." They both nodded in agreement.

We had barely taken 2 steps, when Salwa screamed and disappeared out of sight. "Salwa!" Khanu shouted. We raced over to where she had fallen only to discover a hole in the ground.

"You think she fell down all the way?" I asked. Khanu shook his head.

"It's hard to tell."

"We have to follow her!"

"Are you insane?! Who knows what's down there!"

"I do! Salwa is! Besides, maybe Morada fell down there as well!"

Khanu didn't say anything. Then, "Alright."

************************

Mao Day's guards strapped us to chairs with ropes and metal chains.

As they strapped Ummi down, I heard Mao Day say to him, "If you even think about melting these chains with fire, I will kill you personally." Ummi nodded.

"Now," Mao Day said, "Let's get down go business, shall we?" Turning to me she continued, "I'm going to ask you a question and you're going to answer. If you don't-" she pointed to Ummi "-your punishment gets inflicted on him. Am I clear?"

"Yes," I said stiffly.

"Good. Now, let's start with an easy question: What is your name?"

"Morada."

"Full name."

"Morada Sincaaki." (pronounced Sin-cha-key)

"Very good. Next question: Are you or are you not in consorts with the Avatar?"

"I am." As she asked me more questions, I noticed some water dripping from the cave ceiling. Since I was tied with rope, not chains, I could saw the ropes off with water. So centimeter by centimeter, I pulled the water closer with water bending. It was hard to move my hands, but I managed.

"Now Morada Sincaaki, I want you to answer this question as honestly as possible: Where is the Avatar?"

I needed to stall her. I sensed that we were nearing the end of the interrogation, but the water was still a meter away.

"I can't answer that." I pulled harder on the water.

"Oh, but you will. Unless you want to hurt your friend." She hovered a flame up against his skin, not touching it, but close enough for it to hurt.

The water was almost to me. "I'm sorry, but I can't." Suddenly, I felt the cool sensation of water in my hand. I immediately started to saw away.

Mao Day was almost pressing the flame into his skin. Ummi's face told me it wasn't pleasant. Around me, the ropes came loose. I got up, the water in my hands, and charged straight at Mao Day.

__________________________

Hello! I forgot to tell you, but the last chapter was the one introducing the final member of Team Avatar: Ummi. He'll play a very important role in Luna's journey as the Avatar. I hope you guys liked this chapter! Feel free to comment and don't forget to vote!

Ciao!-Lauren

P.S. Episodes 4 and 5 of LOK will be on tomorrow in a one hour special at 8 PM EST