Chapter 27

I followed the way they had gone, moving quietly to assure neither of them got spooked. It didn't take long for me to hear some voices. I got closer then quickly knelt down. There was a possibility of it being Saviors. But I recognized Tara's voice instantly.

"It's gonna make me feel a hell of a lot better," I heard her say.

I stood up and a silenced shot was fired. Tara then took off running.

"Shit," I whispered.

I took off after them. Tara slowed down and so did I. She went through some bushes and held up her gun.

"I knew it was gonna happen. I just wanted to help you win first," Dwight said.

Tara cocked her gun.

"Tara," I said coming out of the bushes and getting between the two.

"Get out of the way, Amelia," she said.

"No. You don't have to do this," I said.

"I do. He doesn't deserve to live after what he did. He...he can't just switch sides and make it right," she said.

"But you did. Back at the prison, you were on the wrong side. But you weren't aware of what he was capable of. Glenn didn't give up on you. Because that's the kind of person he was. Now I'm not saying that it will be the same with Dwight. It's gonna be hard to forget what he did to Daryl...and what he did to Denise...but for right now, it doesn't have to happen," I said.

She started to get teary-eyed.

"Glenn...He...he should have killed me when he found me," she said softly.

"No. No he shouldn't have. And he wouldn't. Again, cause that's who he was. Now, put the gun down and let's get back to the others," I said.

I reached for the gun slowly and right when I was about to grab it, there were voices that came from behind us. We quickly went back to the bushes and hid.

"The least we could say we checked," one of them said.

They were Saviors. Tara held up her gun to Dwight once again but I didn't stop her. I wanted to see what he'd do now that his former colleagues were around. I watched through small gaps in between the branches at the group that were cautiously making their way into the open area we were in, mere seconds ago.

"The swamp's that way. Let's cut through there," a Savior said.

I held onto my rifle tightly. They were not getting through. Dwight suddenly emerged from the bushes.

"No," I whispered.

Guns cocked.

"Hey," he said.

"What the hell happened to you?" a woman asked.

Tara was about to stand up but I held her in place. She looked at me and I shook my head. We couldn't risk it.

"We were about to check the swamps. See what we can see," the woman said.

That brought me back to attention.

"Oh I just came from there. They're smart enough to steer clear. If I were them, I'd stick close to the Burke's pass. Clear cover. Straighter shot," Dwight said.

Tara and I watched as he led them away from where we were. I nudged Tara's arm. She nodded. We stood up and were startled by Rosita's presence.

"Shit. Don't do that," I said calming my heart rate.

"What were you doing?" Tara asked.

"Making sure you were okay. The both of you but especially you. I saw Amelia follow you, then I followed her," she replied.