Chapter 1: A Very Strange Household

I am a Borrower. If you don't know what a Borrower is, I'm a little surprised you are listening to me. But, we're the beings that make the little things disappear. We borrow tiny items that won't be missed. A cube of sugar, a scrap of paper you left on the floor. Most of that is known.

What most don't know about us is that, on occasion, a Borrower will pack up a lot of food, some meager belongings – the ones they can't live without – and hop into a moving bag to find a new house. A right of passage for some of the more adventurous types. Like myself.

Now, how this resulted me starting in America and ending up in England? I still don't fucking know.

But here I am. It's been a weird experience. The human bean of this house likes to yell a lot. I'm still not entirely sure what his name is? He refers to himself as Jacksepticeye a lot, but his (... giiiiirlfriend? Signe.) calls him Seán. I'm convinced he has two names, which just seems like too many. One name is perfectly fine.

If that weren't bizarre enough, though, he's also really weird in just not keeping too much food on hand. I think Signe is usually making the food, and when she's not around, the cabinets tend to run dry. I mean, I've been lucky, as my dad taught me how to hunt and all that. But bugs are gross, ya'know?

I've actually gotten used to it over the past couple months. There's even a spot in the Yelling Room where I can see his computer while he plays games on it. Certainly gives me more to do when I first wake up. And gets me awake. Helps me actually take stock of what I need for the day.

So about the actual story to tell you. This particular day was a tad off, as I hadn't realized I had no food until it was already dark. And stupidly cold. I hate both those things. As it turns out, that day, though, Jack had forgotten as well. Someone had brought him food, which he had left on the counter. I was already out Borrowing and thought I'd be able to be quick. Jack had just left the room, and whatever was in the bag smelled amazing.

So, I pulled my thread and hook out and latched it to the bottom of the cabinet. I missed the bag when I threw down the rest of the line, but it wasn't so far that I wouldn't be able to get in. When I reached the bottom, the heat almost overwhelmed me. Which I guess was good, it was fresh. Also a bonus, there was a relatively small fry nearby where I landed. It still took some work, but I got it secured to my pack. After checking the line, I started to climb.

Have you ever seen something loom above you? Something you know isn't suppose to be there? Well, that's kind of what happened when a shadow crossed over the top of the bag and grabbed the string. I thought about letting go in that moment, but it would have just left me stranded in the bag.

My stomach plummeted. I was pulled out of the bag and left to dangle in the air. Whether naturally or because of the hand that held it, I slowly turned, my eyes staring wide in horror.

A large pair of bright, curious, and confused blue eyes stared back.