Chapter 5

A sharp kick thud against Roy's knees, breaking him from his sun-induced daydream. He prayed it wasn't the police officers that were chasing him. Opening his eyes, a black figure stood before him. Panic grasped his mind until a soft calm voice spoke, 'You ok son?'.
Adjusting to the bright world, a man in an all-black suit fitted with a clerical collar, stood before him. Neat short hair graced the man's scalp and not a single hair lay upon his chin. Meeting the reverends pure blue eyes, he asked again, 'Can I help you with anything? I see the pain in your eyes.'

Roy wasn't religious in the slightest and the things he had seen in the last few days defied logic and most certainly religion. But Billy's words played in his head like a broken record and if his parents were dead and he was crazy, maybe this reverend could be his saving grace.

'I don't know what to believe in any more. I'm so tired ... and so lost ... and I think in going crazy. But I do need to make a call to my fiancé if you can help me with that?', Roy whimpered.

'I knew you needed the words of Jesus when I saw you sitting there. Tell you what, why don't we go get some breakfast, at that diner over there. I can tell you about how I can help you, and after, you can use my phone. Deal?'.

Once again, the thought of getting hurt or even more confused, raced through Roy's fragile mind, but if a reverend was going to try to harm him, he would at least know to never trust a soul again.

'Third times a charm, I guess', Roy exclaimed, as he rose to his feet to face the reverend.

'What do you mean good sir?', asked the reverend, with confused eyes.

'Never mind. Shall we?'.

Walking side by side the newly acquainted duo followed a footpath in the direction of the diner.

'Sorry I didn't catch your name. What is it?', asked the reverend.

'Roy and should I call you father?', Roy cleverly joked.

'No ... no haha good one though ... you can call me Dean'.

Coming to a pedestrian crossing, they waited for the cars to stop and made their way over the road, to a small alleyway of shops. Fairy lights zigzagged between the buildings and thanks to a flower shop, the alleyway was littered with gorgeous plants. The smell of jasmine plants, clung to the florist's entrance, filled the pairs nostrils. Entering the diner, they were greeted by the smell of coffee, overpowering the jasmines outside. Finding a table at the back corner of the busy diner, they hadn't even sat down before a waitress was standing by their table awaiting orders.

'Good morning you two, how may I be of service?', she pleasantly asked.

Looking at his new friend, Dean said, 'Get anything you want it's on me'.

Giving an appreciative nod Roy took his eyes of the smiling reverend and glanced through a menu the waitress had handed them.

'I'll just get a coffee and a ham and cheese bagel', Roy ordered.

Trying not to be too greedy he thought he wouldn't abuse Deans generosity even though his stomach told him otherwise.

'Milk in your coffee?', the waitress asked taking back Roy's menu.

'Yes please, ma'am'.

'Great and for your father?', she asked Dean.

'I'll get the exact same thank you', Dean said with a smile.

Roy noticed Dean was always smiling and happy, making him uneasy, but he pushed his feelings aside and blamed his psychological scarring to be the reason of doubt. As soon as the waitress left Dean was straight into preach mode, something Roy had little time for but the man was buying him breakfast so he had to hear him out. All the way until the food arrived and during the meal, until their plates were clean, Dean gave his general preach about how Roy should believe in Jesus. After a half an hour lecture on how to be saved, Dean hadn't realised he hadn't even asked Roy what had happened.