Two: Skye Midnight

Skye spent five more minutes pondering seemingly random things that she linked together in her head before she realised they were not in the fair anymore.
"What is happening?"
"Now you ask?" Jazz's voice seemed to float out of nowhere, "If you must know, we're going to the cinema!"
"Why?"
"Because we're going to see a movie, duh." Alex's voice joined the conversation taking place.
His voice is so smooth, and pre- NO! YOU ARE NOT GETTING DISTRACTED!
Skye shook her head to clear her thoughts, and detached herself from Jazz. She proceeded to walk ahead, her long legs meaning she naturally walked faster than the practically tiny Jazz. She didn't notice Alex next to her until he whispered nonsense in her ear, and almost made her jump ten feet.
"Jesus Christ, you scared me!"
"YAY! I ACCOMPLISHED SOMETHING!"
Skye just smiled - bemused - and watched as Alex proceeded to perform a victory dance.
The thing she was most surprised about was how Alex had caught up to her.
Jazz was in the distance, taking his sweet time as he always did, and Alex had a petite frame, and was quite short. Skye was five feet five inches tall, whereas Jazz was four feet eleven inches, and Alex around five feet two or three, from Skye's estimation. It wasn't like she had a tape measure in her pocket to measure his height with, now was it?
-----
When they arrived at the cinema (and waited five minutes for Jazz to catch up) they bought overpriced, practically tasteless popcorn - even if it wasn't worth it, it was a tradition Jazz and Skye had - and some still overpriced, but actually somewhat tasteful ice cream.
They then purchased tickets to The Greatest Showman, and (with Skye's luck) they got placed in the dirtiest screen room: the dreaded Screen Four.
Screen Four was so horrible, newborn babies were rumoured to start crying whenever someone said "Screen Four" around them.
Screen Four was so bad, it had to be put in italics.
Skye could go on about Screen Four and how much it sucks, but she had to navigate a maze of dirty popcorn buckets, ice cream cups, and the food itself in order to get to her seat, which just so happened to be on the front row.
The worst seat in a cinema.
This day was very bipolar, Skye noticed.
She sat in the seat and settled in, trying to get comfortable.
She may have been a huge fan of The Greatest Showman, but she wasn't really in the mood.
-----
"Wanna ditch?" Alex whispered, about halfway through the movie. "Also, I'm female now."
"Sure, I've seen this movie a thousand times already."
"Same. I love it, but I'm not in the mood."
"Me either."
"Operation: Ditch Jazz commence!" Alex whisper-shouted.
Skye leaned over to Jazz.
"Me and Alex are gonna go to the bathroom. Also, she's female now."
"Okay!" was Jazz's response. "Hurry back!"
The pair discreetly left Screen Four, and went in the general direction of the bathrooms.
"I have the best idea," Alex said.
"What?" was Skye's response.
"Twenty Questions!"
"Fine."
Question número uno was, of course, the most cliché question ever; favourite colour.
Skye's was blue, whereas Alex's happened to be grey.
The second question was, of course, favourite animal.
Man, they were killing it with the cliché questions.
Alex chose cats, and Skye agreed.
Then, the dreaded question showed up.
"Pancakes or waffles?"
In unison, Skye responded "Waffles." as Alex answered "Pancakes."
Oh, fuck. was Skye's only thought.
This is where everything goes to shit.
-----
After a five-minute-long debate about the superiority of pancakes over waffles or vice versa, they headed back into the theater, only getting three questions into their game.
"You're back! You've been like ten minutes." Jazz complained.
Skye shot him a look, and he promptly shut up.
Of course, he didn't have to know her next period wasn't due until August 12th.
Alex and Skye made themselves comfortable for the forty minutes of movie left, knowing they wouldn't be able to sneak back out, as much as Skye wanted to.
She couldn't understand or explain it (maybe it was because she was pretty much unknown to her), but she wanted to just talk to Alex, get to know her.
Alex was kind of like a John Green novel: once you pick it up, you can't put it down.
Skye felt similarly about Alex.
-----
When they eventually escaped the tortuous clutches of Screen Four and the cinema, they decided to go to the park; after all, what kind of self-respecting group of teenagers on their summer holiday doesn't go to the park?
After arriving, however, Skye froze in place, for she had seen Jared.
Jared, the only person she had trusted with the information that she was pansexual.
Jared, the one that betrayed her by telling anyone and everyone.
Jared, the one that stopped her in the hallways just to call her 'faggot'.
Jared, the one who was once her closest friend.
She faintly heard Jazz's voice attempting to explain to Alex why they all needed to go right now, but it was too late.
"Oy, faggot! Who's the pretty boy with you?"
-----
And now you all hate me.
I'm sorry, but I didn't want this chapter to drag on too long (you guys are lucky; I was originally going to end it at the John Green part) and this seemed like a perfect stopping point.
Also, I hope this chapter's length makes up for my brief hiatus.
I poured a lot of time and effort into this chapter, and I think it turned out pretty well.
Let me know how I can improve in the comments!
If you liked this chapter, consider leaving a vote, and if you want to read more of my work, a follow would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-Crimson.