Chapter 1

The sound of the helicopter rotors was like a soothing melody to my ears, and the commotion of men within the helicopter was like background music for that melody. I can say that these noises could calm me down in a matter of seconds. Such an unusual type of guy am I? Well, let me say this to all those who think their "normal," there's no such thing as normal to the human race as there are always unique things about us. I can say that almost every person I've met is unique in their own way.

Breathing in the air I could easily smell the odor of men inside this chopper all smelling like sweat, smoke, cologne, and shampoo. The smell of men is one of the many things my nose is used to smell before I couldn't stand the stench of them, but now I can and the smell would always tell me that I'm with the boys. Heh, the boys I always refer them as that since it feels like I'm in some gang helping out the world.

I looked down at my gloved hands to see a spade on the back of them. The spade was a logo for me and the boys in this chopper we are known as Spades. Why did we take the name of a card from blackjack? Well, the answer to that is easy to explain. This small private group of men and women was like a special personal army for one man to use, but instead of being a personal army we're used as security to deal with therianthropes that goes against the rules that Shidou Reiichi and the four zaibatsus. We're not therianthropes we don't like the idea changing into animals when in a fight or want to participate in the Killing Bites because how we'll just end up trying to kill each other.

I'm not really much of a scientist when explaining what a therianthrope is, so I start with a basic on what they are. A therianthrope is both human and animal they can change into the DNA of an animal they have giving them the tributes of that animal and also the form of them. Becoming one requires you to go through a series of test to see if your body is capable of handling another DNA with it, if the body rejects it then the person's body would experience a loss of a limb or would be needing to go through medical procedures before dying. If the person's body is compatible with the animal DNA then they would be therianthrope better than a human being.

Actually, I can't say that they're better than a human being. Why? I'm still human with thirty-two other human beings that are able to kill a therianthrope alone or with the other cards. Fighting against a therianthrope requires four things: endurance, strength, intelligence, and agility. But not all the other cards have all of them since being the "perfect" human would require genetic mutation and change for someone to become that "perfect" human. I lack strength when fighting against a therianthrope, but I make up for it with endurance, intelligence, and agility.

"You okay there Jack?" I felt someone touch my shoulder causing me to jump a bit and look to my right to see one of my squad members, Jack. Slowly I nodded my head before resting it back. I wasn't able to talk with him because how I didn't have a voice from the beginning, but that never stopped me from fighting or making friends. "Thinking about the mission?"

"Yeah," I said using my sign language to reply. Everyone in the deck of cards knows sign language just because of three people in the deck can't speak or hear. Luckily I'm the one who can't speak not the ones who can't hear.

"Are you thinking about our target? You know the small little midget armadillo might put up a fight?" I shrugged not knowing how to respond to that. Our mission was a simple kill on sight leave no survivors and let the cleanup crew take care of the rest, a very simple mission that would probably only take an hour to do. However, since we're fighting against a therianthrope that could have more others on his side meaning that this mission would last more than an hour if we just barged through the front doors.

"A fucking midget that could crotch check you if he ever gets the chance." I turned my head to the left to see Joker, he's the heavy hitter that prefers both explosives and bullets he wears a heavy combat armor and a gas mask over his face. Forgot to mention that I too wore a gas mask as well, you won't find a single member in the Deck of Cards wearing no mask unless we're all at home base under the protection of the four. I knew what everyone looked like because how I saw their faces before, and they know what I look like too.