Five: Just a Lie

1 week later

Normani's POV

A week has passed since the annual purge, and since then I've went to the hospital to get an X-ray done on my leg and get it wrapped with bandages.

The only thing that I haven't done is go back home.

Everything I get enough gumption to go tell Lauren I'm going home, she gets really sad. So I get sad too and tell her that I'm not leaving, and that I'm staying.

"Hey, if you want to leave while Lauren's asleep you can."

I look up to see the giant of all giants that just happens to be Taylor standing at the doorway.

"Wait, she's still asleep?" I ask, slightly confused.

Taylor nods. "Yes, she is. I just checked in fact."

"That's abnormal, she usually wakes me up..." I trail off, confused.

"I know, I remember she did yesterday," Taylor says. "But like I said, just a suggestion."

"Okay, thanks. I probably will take that into consideration."

"Alright, no problem." Taylor says, before walking away.

I sigh, looking over at my bags that have been packed for at least the past 3 days, but haven't quite made it to my car yet. Something is keeping me here, and I'm not even sure what it is. Every time I even get close to the door; I'm hit with overwhelming dread and guilt, along with probably every other feeling you could think of. I can tell Lauren is feeling the same way, because before I can even think about leaving, she's right on my ass. I'm not sure what else to do to prevent from unintentionally going off on her or hurting her feelings, but I hope I figure it out soon.

My phone ringing brings me out of my thoughts, but when I look at the caller ID, I begin to wish I hadn't heard it. "What is it Keith?"

"Well hey to you too stranger." He chuckles.

"What do you want? You haven't called me since last weekend and today is Tuesday so you've got to want something."

"Of course I want something, I want my baby to come back home." He says, making me crack a small smile.

"Do you really?" I ask.

"Yes, I haven't seen you or anything in—what like a week—?"

"You're right....," I say, before my mind comes to an epiphany. "Why haven't you been over here to see me?"

"You know that Lauren doesn't even like the thought of me."

"I know, but if I wanted you here, she would tolerate it just to make me happy." I say.

"While were on the subject of her tolerating me, do you know why she doesn't like me?"

That question catches me off guard. "Um..."

"Um what?"

"Um....," I nervously chuckle, unsure of what to say. "I honestly don't know how to answer that."

"Fair enough." Keith says.

"About me and--"

I hear Keith talking to someone in the background, so I stop talking to hear what he has to say. "Uh shit I gotta go, my sister needs me."

"Alright, I love you." I say.

"I love you too Mani." Keith says, hanging up.

Since I'm off the phone with him, I start to take my things out to the car. I get to my last suitcase before bed headed Lauren appears in the doorway. "Morning Laur."