Chapter 30

Chapter 30

"Well that looked intense," I turn around to see James following me into the classroom.

"You have geography with me?" I ask him, ignoring his statement.

"It appears so, maybe if we talked more we'd know this." I know he's joking, but I still feel bad.

I stop in front of a desk, putting my things down. I turn to James who raises an eyebrow at me. Without thinking I pull him into a hug. Maybe I just need some comfort after that conversation.

He seems slightly taken back, but wraps his arms around me. "What was that about out there?" He asks gently.

I pull back and take a seat. He sits besides me and regards me cautiously. "I think it's really over now James."

"Why do you say that?"

"He's seeing someone else." I thought I wanted to talk about this, but now I feel like I'm a dam barely holding on, threatening to break and free all my emotions.

"Oh Charlie, I'm sorry," James frowns and rubs my shoulder. I just nod my head and turn my attention to the front.

Throughout the class I could see James sneaking glances at me every so often. He walks beside me as we leave, but says nothing. Almost like he knows I need the company, but don't want to talk about it.

We stay like that, walking in comfortable silence as we walk to the café. I don't really want to go back in there after what happened yesterday, but I'll be damned if I let my emotions rule me.

There are only a few customers when we get there; it's still relatively early. Rita spots us as we walk in and looks at me in concern. "Oh Charlie honey, how are you? You didn't look so good yesterday."

"I'm okay, just felt lightheaded. I needed to go back to my dorm and rest," I lie and I can tell James sees right through me.

"Oh well I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. Go take a seat I'll send someone over soon."

We go sit at our usual table before James questions me, "What really happened yesterday?"

"That's when I found out I saw him here with Ms. Bernard."

"Your photography professor?" He blanches. I nod. "That asshole." I just shrug. "Charlie I know the whole thing was fucked up, but from what you told me the two of you seemed very much in love. I just think that's a real dick move."

I look at him unsure, "Seeing someone else? It's not like we were together."

"That's besides the point. You told me you two talked on the phone over the break and seemed to still have feelings for you. What happened since then? He didn't even say anything to you," his voice is heavy with disapproval.

"It's whatever now. I talked to him today and we got the closure I think we both needed." He still doesn't look convinced. "I don't want to talk about it anymore, let's talk about something else."

"We can talk about how my younger cousin won't stop referring to me and Jesse as Team Rocket." James does a complete one eighty, now looking at me with a humored smile.

'Team Rocket?"

"Like in Pokémon. The bad guys are called Team Rocket. Their names are James and Jessie."

I burst out laughing as I remember the cartoon. Count on James to know exactly what to say to make me feel better.

"It's not funny O'Heir. I called Jesse one night and my cousin runs into my room asking me if we protect the world from devastation? I had no idea what the kid was talking about so he made me watch Pokémon with him the rest of the night." I laugh harder as I try picturing James sitting with a ten year old watching a cartoon about made up creatures that battle each other. "Oh stop laughing you my friend are our Meowth. You're in this too."