Chapter Three

"Please, please, please tell me you're not pulling my leg, because if you are, I will deck you right here, right now, and tickle you until you turn blue in the face."

          Naomi held up her hands. "I'm not pulling your leg, I promise."

          Darcy squealed with delight and crushed Naomi with a lung-compressing hug that lifted her off her feet. "Okay," Naomi croaked. "I won't be able to go if I'm dead because you suffocate me." She glanced around the cafeteria and noticed they were drawing heads. "Put me down, please."

          Darcy set Naomi down. "Sorry," she said sheepishly as Naomi took a gulp of air. Darcy flipped her teal bangs away from her eyes. "I just got excited."

          "I'll say." Naomi tenderly rubbed where Darcy's ribs had dug into her side.

          "But your dad seriously said you can come?" Darcy asked as they sat down at their table.

          "Yes, Darcy, yes." Naomi opened her pack of Mandarin oranges and scooped them into her mouth. "Oui, ja, sim, si, vâng. No matter what translation you prefer, yes, he said yes."

          "How many languages do you know?"

          "I only speak English, but I've lea--"

          "You know what?" Darcy said. "It doesn't matter. I'm just so happy you're coming!" Darcy's smile was so bright it could have lit a city. Naomi was still a little nervous about possibly exposing herself, but to see Darcy so happy strengthened her resolve to go.

          Naomi smiled back. "When do we leave?"

          "Monday at eight. We'll be staying until Saturday. We'll come pick you up. Oh, and don't forget to pack your toothbrush, 'cause we are going to eat so much junk food all the stores within a one-mile radius will have to restock!"

          "Your parents would let you eat all that?"

          Darcy shrugged. "Probably not, but it won't matter, since they're not coming."

          Naomi nearly choked on her oranges. "What?"

          "They've got a business trip on Tuesday, so my cousin Ezhno is taking us," Darcy explained.

          "Is this the same cousin Ezhno who broke your bike last summer because he rode it into a tree?" Naomi shook her head. "We need adult supervision, Darcy. I can't help you watch three rowdy kids for six days."

          "It'll only be for one day, and really, not even a full day," she said soothingly. "My uncle Axe will be coming Tuesday. Ezhno will only be in charge on the way there. Axe will take over when he gets there. Trust me, Nomi, I wouldn't invite you just to help me babysit my brothers. Even I'm not that mean."

          "It's not that the triplets are bad," Naomi said quickly, afraid she might have offended her friend. "It's just that I have no experience with little kids and--"

          "Relax, Nomi, it's cool. They're a handful. Trust me, no one knows that better than me," she winked. "Are you gonna eat that?" She pointed to the pudding on Naomi's tray.

          Naomi slid her dessert far away from Darcy. "Remember what happened last time you tried to take my tapioca? Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

          "I still have bite marks on my arm." Darcy shuddered at the memory and shot a glare at Naomi. Naomi feigned a look of innocence.

          "Speaking of history, Nomi," Darcy said, "What did you get for number six on the midterm? 'Cause I had no idea what the answer was for that one."