xi

this is back from the dead, hi.

⚜️🌹⚜️

TYLER WAS EXHAUSTED.

He hadn't noticed how drained he was until he arrived home and was overcome with a wave of fatigue, his shoulders sagging and his eyelids drooping.

Toeing off his shoes, he padded quietly into the kitchen with a yawn, dropping his bag on the kitchen table.

Interacting with others all week was by far the hardest thing he'd ever done—and he'd taught himself Arabic. Sighing, he dragged himself over to the refrigerator and opened it, pulling out his already prepared afternoon snack: apple slices and peanut butter.

He slumped into a bar stool and began to eat his snack.

Stupid Joshua, he thought angrily, munching with a scowl. He drowned his apple slice in peanut butter before ripping into it viciously.

Infuriating, cocky punk.

Munch, munch.

What was his deal anyway? I was just being realistic. It's his fault for taking things so personally.

Munch, munch.

He's being completely illogical about everything! It's been a week; it's like he... he thinks we have a relationship blooming or something.

Munch, munch, munch.

And maybe I lead him on a little and was a little illogical myself, but that's in the past! The important thing is that I regained my sanity and guarded myself against his... boyish charms.

Tyler munched a little softer.

And, sure, he's not ugly, not at all; in fact, his jawline is quite impressive. And, yes, his abdominal muscles are quite defined—also his pectorals. And he's... he can be sweet and charming in his own juvenile way, and maybe I find it a little attractive—but that's beside the point!

Tyler munch, munch, munched harder.

The point is that he doesn't matter! He's not important to me, and he... he never will be! So why should I let him in when it will lead to disaster? Logically, I shouldn't. He serves no purpose to me or my future—except maybe as an obstacle.

Illogically...

Tyler stopped munching.

Illogically, I should let myself get lost in his careless and laidback demeanor. I should lend my support and help where I can with his abuse. I should let him know that I... that I care about him and his wellbeing. I should stop worrying about my mother and my future and let Joshua lead me down an unknown and dangerous path—a path where my mother will potentially disown me, a path where my future might not even involve college, a path with a charming, witty, attractive punk who has a talent for sketching, a bellowing yet gentle laugh, and a shining smile, a path where I might even fall in lov—

Tyler sputtered, spraying munched and not-yet-munched apple across the table.

No! No, no, no, no, no! Tyler Robert Joseph, pull yourself together! That's not going to happen. Never in a million years will I ever let myself be manipulated down that path, no matter how... inviting... tempting... and... and enticing that path may seem.