35~|Stomach Bubbles

The party is loud and I can't hear the loud music from outside already. Irrelevant 80s tunes my moms already lip singing to. I giggle at her. We're obviously late. It's probably just nerves. I'm nervous as well. He can't be carrying a ring at a party where he knows hell end up drunkenly asking my mom to marry him. It's not classy. He won't. He wouldn't do that. Not yet.

We walk through the door of the function room. It smells of alcohol and people.
"Can you look after my phone please mom?" I ask, passing it to her and watching her slide it into her shoulder bag.
I notice Owen and some of his mates standing awkwardly by the door, a beer in their hands and one of them smoking.
"Hiya," he says immediately, waving to me and my mom.
"Hello," me mom answers chirpily, leaning in for a kiss on the cheek.
I just smile.

One of his friends wears a SnapBack and Vans. He doesn't have a beer and instead a coke, and he smiles back at me. He has chestnut hair which falls effortlessly over his left eye. Leaning against the doorframe, I notice how tall he is, and how his arms and legs look too long to fit with the rest of his body. Like me!

I follow my mom, but keep glancing behind me at the guy, who's staring straight back at me. The main room is much louder and darker, with disco lights flashing everywhere. People are dancing and young kids are running around playing games. Ladies wear heels and tight dresses, whilst my mom wears strappy sandals and a floaty dress, which brushes against her curves but doesn't emphasise them. I like the way she dresses, but I can tell already that she feels out of her depth. Well. So do I. We know a few people, but not very well.

"I didn't think that you were coming my lovely's!"
Steve stinks of beer and seems so much more confident than usual.
"Hello!" My mom says, kissing him on the cheek hastily, "happy birthday!"
"Yeh happy birthday," I beam.
My mom soon gets whisked away and starts meeting all of his relative and friends. I have to smile and wave, being the perfect daughter and not moaning. I hope I make my mom proud because I don't enjoy it. Not one bit.

We're by the bar when my mom gets chatting to Becky. I have to stand and listen. I look moody now. I've done the best I can do now.
"Can I have a Diet Coke please?"
I tilt my head round and see the boy from before next to another lad.
"I'll have a beer please," the other states.
He seems a little tipsy, passing over a £5 note to pay for both drinks.
"Hiya," the drunk one says to me, grabbing his Budweiser and leaning over towards me.

"Hello," I answer.
I probably look like a snob, looking down on him, but I didn't care.
"What's your name?" He asks.
"Lilly," I quickly state.
"I'm Cole, and this is Liam."
I look past the Cole, and watch Liam nod his head. His hair flops slightly and my stomach bubbles. This isn't good.
"How are you?" Cole asks.
"Good thanks, how about you?"
The music is quite loud so I have to shout a little bit for him to hear me.

Liam doesn't seem fussed about the conversation at all, and it makes me a little disheartened. But that's a good thing. Because I've got a thing with Jack.
"I'm great," Cole pronounces.
"Cool," I say, half expecting him to turn away. But he doesn't.
I look over to my mom for support, but she's fully engaged in a conversation.
"So, do you have a boyfriend?"
The question makes me feel uncomfortable for some reason.
"Not entirely, it's complicated, no. I mean yes."

We're not officially anything yet, we're just chilling together. We've kissed I guess. But he hasn't officially asked me out. But I think we're going out. But I don't know if I'd introduce him as my boyfriend. Well, I can't. It'd be easier if everything started on a clean slate, but it hasn't. And that's just how it is I guess.

"Ok."
He cuts me short and seems to wonder off, dissolving into the crowd of people. Liam looks behind him, but is soon to draw slightly closer to me.
"We're probably never going to see each other again if what I say fails horrendously, but me and Cole both thought you looked nice and then he, being drunk, reckoned he could get you. It's so shallow and disgusting, so just incase you thought he was odd, he is."

I feel strange. What? 2 decent looking boys thought I looked nice?? That can't be right.
"Oh erm ok," I stutter.
I think it's obvious I think it's stupid. It is stupid.
"Yeh I've messed everything up, I wish I wasn't sober, then I'd have an excuse," he explains.
What's with the male attention? I don't like it. But he's cute. A lot cute.

"No, it's fine," I laugh, but it's forced and creepy because I my hearts pounding and my knees are shaking.
"So, I'm Liam," he reiterates.
"Nice to meet you?" I say awkwardly.
He smiles, looking out at the people on the dance floors
"I'm. Lilly."
"Nice to meet you too, Lilly."

You know when someone says your name and it immediately makes you pay more attention? That's what happened here. As soon as the words 'Lilly' fell off of his lips, I couldn't stop watching him.
"Where are you from?" He asks.
Snapping to attention, I answer, "Birchfield?"
"Oh yeh, that's in Birmingham, isn't it?"