Chapter Three - Silver Hair, Red Stilettos

Hermione POV

I woke up and the first thing I smelt was the strong, unmistakable smell of disinfectant.

After the war, I had spent so much time in hospitals that I felt it would be a few lifetimes before I forgot that smell.

I moved. My body ached. I had bandages wrapped in various parts of my body and there was a huge gash over my left eyebrow.

I didn't care.

Where's Draco?

I fumbled around in the dimly lit grey room for anything I could reach.

My eyes rested on Draco's oversized jumper I had been wearing when the Gulfstream went down.

My heart ached for him. Was he okay? I needed to know.

I tried to get off the bed. I stumbled and fell noisily on the ground, smashing a glass of water on my way down.

The hospital gown I was is was soaked now and there was glass all over the floor. I looked under the bed and my eyes fell on a slender piece of wood.

My wand.

Frowning, I picked it up. It must have rolled under there when the water dropped from the bedside table.

I mended my injuries as well as I could and used the bed to help lift myself up off the ground.

I stepped round the shards of glass, conscious that I didn't have any shoes on. I grabbed the jumper, dried it and threw the hospital gown off.

A whiff of Draco's cologne caught my nose and a surge of pain coursed through my chest.

Where is he? Where is Ginny? And Blaise?

I ran barefoot out the door and down a hallway. All the doors looked the same.

I opened door after door, pleading with all my might that I'd open one and find one of them lying in a bed like I was.

But the rooms were all empty.

I began to panic.

When it started to feel like I had checked over twenty rooms and this hallway was never going to end, I opened a door and jumped.

This room was more of an office. Plush black carpet and a huge mahogany desk. Behind the desk, stood a thin ageless woman.

She had silver hair and it fell to her midriff. It went straight down and looked very fine, almost wispy.

I gawked at her and she showed no expression.

"Took you long enough. Take a seat." She said in a monotone voice.

I hesitated. Staring at her. She was almost a robot. But a gorgeous one.

My eyes followed her as she began to move round the large expensive desk.

She wore a white chiffon blouse and a slate grey skirt. On her feet, she had bright red suede stilettos with nude stockings that disappeared up her skirt but made her legs look flawless.

Without warning, she whipped out a wand and I found myself forced into the chair in front of her desk.

I struggled against the invisible bonds but her magic was too strong. "Draco, is he-?"

Still maintaining an absolutely neutral expression, she leaned over me.

Her hands resting on either one of my wrists strapped to the armrests of the chair, she spoke again.

"Don't bother asking for any of your peers, Miss Granger. They're all dead."