Beta blue

Derek stared at the picture of him and Stiles he had saved on his phone. He was so pissed at Stiles for making a deal to bring him back, but at the same time he understood. It hurt him to think of what Stiles must have felt. He wished he could remember what happened, but nothing came to mind. He only knew that he felt empty like something had been ripped from him, which he didn't fully understand. Stiles was alive so their mate bond wouldn't be severed. Perhaps it had severed when he'd died? He wasn't sure what the rules were for dying and coming back. Peter might know.

"Derek?" Sam's voice sounded on the other side of his door.

"Yeah," Derek answered.

Sam stepped inside, "I wanted to see how you were doing."

Derek shook his head with a defeated shrug.

"I've been where you are

"I've been where you are. Dean did the same thing for me once. It's hard, I know, but I want you to know that Stiles loves you, and losing you was his biggest fear. He made a rash decision, but don't blame yourself," Sam spoke gently.

"Did you blame yourself for what Dean did?" Derek asked, looking at the middle Winchester.

"Everyday, even after he came back," Sam nodded.

"I was careless. I was trying to keep Stiles from getting hurt, but now..." Derek trailed off, he felt his wolf wanting to surface. 

"Derek, your eyes," Sam frowned at the werewolf.

"What?"

"They're...blue?" Derek's wolf eyes had always been red. When had they changed?

"Blue?" Derek jumped to his feet and rushed to the mirror above the dresser. Sure enough his eyes were no longer alpha red, but beta blue.

"No," Derek shook his head as he backed away from the mirror. That's what was missing. He was no longer an alpha.

"What's wrong?" Sam asked in confusion.

"When I died, I lost my alpha status," Derek explained.

"Is that bad?" Sam asked.

"It means I'm not as strong, and Stiles is free game to other wolves. He won't smell like an alpha, which means if an alpha finds him, he can claim him out from under me," Derek answered, growing more anxious.

"Okay, hey, listen to me, no alpha is going to be getting near Stiles, he's with Asmodeus and while I know that's not comforting, his deal requires him to be alive," Sam put a hand on Derek's shoulder.

Derek nodded. That was the only thing keeping him from losing it, knowing Stiles was alive.

"How do you become an alpha? Maybe we can fix it," Sam suggested.

"I have to kill an alpha," Derek answered, "I killed my uncle, that's how I became one."

"You killed your own uncle?" Sam frowned.

"He killed my sister, and tried to kill Stiles," Derek snapped.

"Wait, you mean Peter?" Sam was definitely confused now.

"Yes,"

"I thought he was alive?"

"He is."

"But you killed him to become alpha?" Sam frowned at Derek.

"He managed to haunt a banshee and trick her into bringing him back," Derek explained.

"Okay, so we find an alpha and you kill it," Dean's voice spoke from the door.

"I'm not gonna kill some random guy, plus I would adopt their pack. I don't need that. Peter didn't have a pack and he deserved to die. Besides I only know one alpha and he was Stiles' friend," Derek shook his head.

"Scott right?" Cas asked appearing next to Dean.

"Yeah," Derek nodded.

"I'm sure we can hunt down an alpha for you to kill and we'll wipe out the pack," Dean offered.

"Dean," Sam glared at his brother.

"Do you have a better idea?" Dean huffed.

"Right now we just need to get Stiles and Gabriel back," Derek growled. He could talk to Deaton, maybe he would have a solution.

"I've called Balthazar but he hasn't heard anything, and angel radio has been silent," Cas said with a sigh.

"I've put out an APB on Stiles, so if anyone sees him, they'll call," Sam said more to Derek than the other two.

"What could he possibly want with Gabriel and Stiles?" Derek asked looking between the brothers and Cas.

Sam only shook his head.

"I don't know, but as soon as I find that son of a bitch, he's dead," Dean snapped.

"How do you plan on killing a prince of hell? The colt is still missing, the lance is gone, nothing else works," Sam huffed.

"There's something, and I'm gonna find it," Dean growled.

"Stiles is the one who found out about the lance. He always figures it out, how can we do this without him? Not to mention Asmodeus runs hell now, which means he controls the demons, so they get a heads up anytime we get anywhere." Sam was sounding awfully defeatist.

"We'll figure something out, alright? We'll get them back Sammy, I promise," Dean spoke determinedly.

Sam let out a heavy sigh, "I know, I just hate it. I miss them already."

Everyone nodded in agreement, but didn't respond, what could they possibly say?

-

Stiles stared at the tools laid out before him. Everything from scalpels to meat cleavers to clubs.

"You really expect me to torture my own brother in law?" Stiles scoffed looking at the prince of hell, who wore a conniving smile.

"In fact, I expect you to enjoy it," Asmodeus answered in his thick southern drawl.

"Yeah, not gonna happen," Stiles crossed his arms over his chest.

"You made a deal remember? So unless you want Derek dead again, I suggest you get to carving," The smile Asmodeus was previously wearing had disappeared.

"Hmmhmmmhmmmhm," Gabriel, who was currently gagged, tried to speak.

"Let's see what the angel has to say." Asmodeus pulled the gag from Gabriel's mouth.

"You made a deal to save Derek? Dean and Sam are gonna kill you. What were you thinking?" Gabriel scoffed at the youngest Winchester.

"I was thinking Crowley has a soft spot for Dean and I'd get out of this deal with minimal repercussions," Stiles huffed in response.

"And that is why that poor excuse for a demon has been removed from the throne,"  Asmodeus sneered.

"What's the point of this?" Stiles asked. What could he possibly get out of making Stiles torture Gabriel?

"An archangel at full capacity is a threat to the likes of me, I need him broken. Who better to break an angel than a Winchester that is close to him? Sam would have been my first choice, but he didn't make a deal to save the life of a werewolf," Asmodeus grinned maliciously. 

Stiles looked at Gabriel with worry in his eyes. How could he possibly torture the love of his brother's life? If he didn't, Asmodeus would go back on his deal and Derek would be dead, again.

*AN*
A small update for you, sorry it's been so long, I've been dealing with some serious health issues. Hope you like it!