Chapter 29: The Announcement

"What's the matter sister?" Cornelius asked to his fuming sister.. "Are you mad because I'm right? Or because I'm wrong?"

Syrah Jewel was livid. Her hand was clenched into a fist within the confines of a gauntlet, ready to launch up and plant itself into the arrogant Dragon Lord's mouth. Her face was red, not out of embarrassment, but in anger. She really wished that someone, anyone, would walk up and save her from her brother's idiocy.

"Seriously Cor, shut your damn mouth!" Syrah spat at her brother before crossing her arms and facing the center of the Great Hall.

The Hall was quickly filling with people: warriors of Corvin's Blades, knights, castle staff, and even the royal families were all in attendance. Blyke and Dester walked up to them just as Syrah had finished replying to her brother, the both of them trying to figure out how to address the situation.

"It's because I'm right." Cornelius settled, chuckling to himself.

Syrah was about to break his jaw when Blyke asked what they were fighting about. The diamond-eyed warrior refused to answer, simply telling them to mind their own business. Cornelius, on the other hand, burst into a fit of laughter, nearly losing his balance as he did so and earning many stares from the surrounding crowd. Syrah was not amused in the slightest.

"I was teasing her at first and then-" Cornelius explained, unable to speak as he cut himself off with laughter, "But then- but then, it turned out to be true!"

Syrah rolled her eyes, commenting about his immaturity under her breath, cursing herself for leaving her scythe behind.

"What's true?" Tara asked, walking up to stand beside Dester.

"Oh nothing..." Cornelius teased, building suspense in his next words. "Just that little Syrah here is pining after Faradeigh!"

Tara covered her mouth with her hands, cheeks blushing with excitement, while Dester just scoffed. Blyke looked as though he had seen a ghost, even asking if he had just heard right.

"It's not like that..." Syrah stated firmly, planting her foot hard into the ground to get her point across..

"Then what is it like?" Cornelius asked.

"It's..." Syrah started. "I can't explain it... It's like, there's this aura about him. I mean, he's already made noteworthy impacts here, and all he's done is try to stay out of people's way and keep to himself. Even now that he's our friend; he still keeps so much about himself quiet. While I find that terribly annoying, imagine if he actually tried to accomplish something major."

"She's impressed." Cornelius deadpanned.

"Yes, I am." Syrah reaffirmed. "But... I think that's all it is..."

"Why does everyone keep talking about him?" Blyke grumbled.

"I know you don't like me, and I'm sorry for that, but can I squeeze past you real quick?" Faradeigh asked as if Blyke's comment was no big deal.

Blyke's eyes went wide as he moved aside without another word. There was no question that the younger warrior was still afraid or jealous of Faradeigh, but it upset Syrah to see one of her friends treat Faradeigh that way, especially since she had misjudged him similarly not too long ago herself.

"Faradeigh, hey, didn't see you walk in here!" Cornelius greeted his friend as Faradeigh walked up.

The two shook hands, and from there Faradeigh had begun greeting everybody, including Blyke. Blyke, however, decided to be rude and simply turned away as Faradeigh tried talking to him. Syrah glared at him, and he responded by turning away from her gaze as well. Dester tried asking what was wrong, but as he stepped away he bumped straight into Raven. There was no worse luck in the world that could possibly befall a scrawny timid kid than what had just happened. Tara, who had only just arrived, tried to step in, but Raven's glare kept her at bay. She squeaked as Dester defensively pushed her behind him, eyes glowering at the masked warrior, yet not making any moves to interfere. Syrah herself froze from the gaze coming from beneath that bird mask of his.