CHAPTER ONE

Long strands of dirty blond hair was blowing in the wind as black shoes walked down the road between homes, pubs and stores

Long strands of dirty blond hair was blowing in the wind as black shoes walked down the road between homes, pubs and stores. Freija didn't bother the attention as she walked down the road. Men and women mumbling between themselves and pointed at her. Women's eyes were wide in shock as the men laughed at her or rolled their eyes. She knew why yet she couldn't give a second thought about it. Her eyes travelled around the different buildings, searching for the familiar name yet she couldn't find it. She stopped in her tracks and looked at a group of older men who rested between their shift, shovels in their hands and dirty skin with charcoal staining them.

"Where's the Farmer's pub?!" She shouted confidently at them, the men mumbling something to each other before pointing ahead of them.

"Further down the road to the right Mister!" One of them answered before laughing with his friends.

"Why thank you ma'am!" She shouted back at him before continuing her walk down the road with a neutral expression on her face. The men had grown quiet, the man with whom she had spoken, stood clenched his jaws together tightly as he took a step forward yet the sound of the whistle held him back, knowing his family couldn't afford him loosing his job or missing out payment for beating women instead of working. So with a spit on the ground he walked back inside.

Freija soon saw the Famer's pub sign. Relief filled her body and without hesitating she walked inside, confidence and power oozing from her body. It was something she had gotten from her father, yet she had gotten her beauty from her mother.

"We're closed!" A rough voice shouted over his shoulder. When he didn't hear the person leave he turned around and placed the cloth on the bar table, wiping it slightly.

"Can I help you?" The large bulky man asked as he wiped the bar table. A slightly dirty white button up shirt with a leather apron decorated his body. His eyes roamed her body and he cleared his throat by the sight of it.

"I'm looking for the manager." Freija said and looked the man in the eyes.

"Well it happens to be me who's the manager." The man spoke, voice low and raspy. "What's your name?" He asked her, still not sure what he felt about the woman who asked for his presence.

"I'm Freija Haraldsson and I'm your new barmaid." Freija spoke confidently and the man's eyes widen. He wiped his hands with the already dirty washcloth as he walked around the bar table. He held out his hand for her to shake which she did.

"I'm Alfred Solomons, nice to meet you." The barman said and smiled at her. Freija returned it and after they pulled apart she removed her coat. "Why don't we take a seat?" He said and motioned for one of the tables. She nodded and followed the man to the tables.

"I'm taking it as I'm not what you expected?" Freija asked and Alfred got a light pink blush that stained his cheeks. "I'm guessing you expected some young girl dressed in fine gowns with well kept hair." She added and adressed that she wore black with thin white striped fitted dress pants and a white blouse with her mothers pendant necklace hanging between her fuller breasts. Her blond hair was in a longer raid yet strands had gotten loose from the wind and travel.